If it wasn’t for the invention of the camera, many great moments in our history would be lost forever. Thankfully, we have a tremendous visual record of times past, and they help piece together history as we know it. Some photographs, however, are so rare that they show history as you’ve never seen it before.
And if these never-before-seen pictures from the past prove anything, it’s that we still have a lot to learn.
1. An aerial view of the flowers left outside Buckingham palace after the death of Princess Diana, 1997.
2. American soldiers return home after World War II, 1945.
3. A model poses in Paris, 1920.
4. Another model poses in the back of a classic car, 1971.
5. Seeing how many people you could pack into a phone booth was what teens did before the Internet, 1959.
6. The camera man capturing this footage doesn’t even look phased. He’s probably too scared.
7. Iowa’s living Statue of Liberty is impressive and patriotic, 1918.
8. A California teacher teaches the physics of surfing, 1970.
9. Figure skaters celebrate during an awards ceremony, 1976.
10. Russia sailors surround a sleeping kitten, 1941.
11. Old time bathing beauties smile for the camera, 1928.
12. German kids building their own Berlin wall, 1961.
13. This library would make Belle weak at the knees! (1874)
14. A 1946 “Baby Race.”
15. Burmese women arriving in America, 1935.
16. An African boy plays with an abandoned tank, 1991.
17. A little girl plays with her pet alligator.
18. Kids play makeshift basketball in Soviet-era Russia, 1957.
19. Young Nikola Tesla teaching a girl how to swim, 1900.
20. A baby sobs alone in the street after a Japanese airstrike on China, 1937.
21. A soldier takes a moment to feed a starving cat in the snow, 1917.
22. A dog protects his infant owner, 1920.
23. Divers leap into the Thames, 1934.
24. Bruce Lee receives martial arts instruction, 1955.
25. An early phone tower in Stockholm, 1890.
26. An eerie photo of the Golden Gate Bridge mid-construction, 1935.
27. A candid image of Dutch babies, 1910.
28. A statue in the Soviet Union, 1925.
29. An aerial photo of the Woodstock festival in 1969.
30. Alain Delon and Brigitte Bardot defining cool, 1968.
31. The atomic bomb leveling Nagasaki, 1945.
32. French boys holding their mother’s pocketbooks, 1962.
33. A weary, snow-covered tyke trudges into his house, 1960.
34. The famous canals in Venice being drained and cleaned, 1956.
35. A little girl buys a balloon in Berlin, 1935.
36. An early tool designed to treat heart disease, 1852.
37. Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon on the set of Some Like It Hot, 1958.
38. A Russian soldier kisses his daughter goodbye before leaving for war, 1938.
39. Audrey Hepburn and Psycho-actor Anthony Perkins chat mid-air, 1962.
40. Women in Washington, D.C. bathe their pet ducklings, 1927.
41. Soldiers in Poland rest with their best friend, 1945.
42. Bob Dylan is ignored by John Lennon, 1965.
43. John Lennon records at Abbey Road, 1965.
44. Hitler listens to the crowd at the announcement of the start of World War I, 1914.
45. A magazine speculates what Michael Jackson will look like in the year 2000 (1985)
46. A man rides his bicycle out of the Eiffel Tour, 1923.
47. A Soviet-era snowmobile flies by, 1983.
48. A group of men portraying Santa Claus learn how to apply their makeup, 1961.
49. Magician Harry Houdini poses in chains, 1899.
50. Extras wave to cameras in an early film adaptation of Peter Pan, 1924.
51. A Native American woman poses for cameras, 1926.
52. The world’s smallest storefront. London, 1900.
53. Two babies gone bad.
54. Roman Polanski and Johnny Depp goofing off on the set of The Ninth Gate, 1998.
55. Recovering the victims of the Titanic, 1912.
56. A child’s gas mask.
57. Albert Einstein poses with a Native American tribe, 1922.
58. The secret bunker where Hitler killed himself.
59. A warship washes ashore during WWII.
60. Seconds before Gandhi was assassinated, 1948.
61. Ernest Hemingway in the the bathtub, 1922.
62. Stalin and Lenin standing together, 1922.
63. Bill Clinton at age 4, 1950.
64. A young Vladimir Putin, 1970.
65. Lumberjacks pose with felled California Redwood trees.
These glimpses into the past are totally mesmerizing. They really make you feel like a part of history.
Share these unique and memorable moments with your friends below!