Life in the limelight can be a lonely place for celebrities. Long work days and weekends packed with events and press tours are just the tip of the iceberg, so it’s hard enough to craft a schedule that supports such a lifestyle, let alone one that leaves time for hangouts with friends.
Still, these A-listers found everlasting friendship among a sea of people on the red carpet. Whether they met before getting their big break or connected while filming a hit TV show, fame not only gave them a paycheck, but a best friend for life…
1. Bette Midler and 50 Cent: This unlikely pair met through the New York Restoration Project. They instantly bonded over their passion to make New York a better place. Midler said, “He’s really made my life worth living.”
2. Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon: Their friendship goes back to the 2000s when Timberlake appeared on Saturday Night Live along Fallon. “I was totally nervous and [he was] nervous and we both ended up having a good night.”
3. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire: Back in the ’80s, both actors often vied for the same roles. The 12-year-olds didn’t let it come between them, though. They’re still best friends to this day. They even had the opportunity to star together in The Great Gatsby.
4. Oprah Winfrey and Gayle King: Forty-three years of friendship began when Winfrey and King met while working at a TV station in Baltimore, Maryland. Oprah says that there’s “not a better human in the world,” in regards to her bestie, Gayle.
5. Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston: The actors’ off-screen relationship is much different than what you see on screen. Hemsworth said, “You either have chemistry with someone or you don’t…” While Hiddleston followed, “It’s quite literally a bromance.”
6. Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams: Starring as on-screen sisters in HBO’s Game of Thrones, Turner and Williams got matching tattoos after they learned the show was ending. Turner said, “She’s my best friend. She’s my soul mate. I love that girl to pieces.”
7. Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore: These two met at a Beverly Hills coffee shop. It wasn’t until Barrymore was producing the movie Charlie’s Angels in 2002 that she called Diaz and offered her a role — the rest is history.
8. Amy Poehler and Tina Fey: The Saturday Night Live legends have been friends for well over two decades after meeting at a Chicago improv theater in 1993. Since then, they’ve starred in a number of movies together, including Mean Girls and Sisters, and spent five years as co-stars on Saturday Night Live.
9. Kim Kardashian and Jonathan Cheban: Not all Hollywood friendships begin on the red carpet. This decade-long bond blossomed when Cheban accidentally sat next to Kardashian at a birthday party. What a happy mistake.
Frank Castle / Backgrid
10. Julianne Hough and Nina Dobrev: After meeting through mutual friends in 2013, Hough and Dobrev became inseparable. Dobrev soaked up the sun at Hough’s fun-filled bachelorette weekend in the Caribbean and stood next to her when she said, “I do.”
11. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law: This dynamic duo became friends after co-starring in the two Sherlock Holmes films in 2009 and 2011. It blossomed into a beautiful bromance on and off-screen. Downey Jr. and Law are gearing up to film a third franchise installment set to be released in 2020.
12. Jennifer Aniston and Courteney Cox: After meeting on the hit TV show Friends, Aniston and Cox have been besties for 25 years. The pair remained so close that Cox was Aniston’s maid of honor in her wedding to ex-husband Justin Theroux in 2015. “I’ll be there for you” wasn’t just their show’s theme song!
NBCU Photo Bank / Rex Features
13. Jay Z and Kanye West: Before West was a GRAMMY winner, Jay Z recognized his talent right off the bat. They’ve been closer than family for a long time. Although it’s been in the media that the rappers have had several rough patches, Jay Z still calls Kanye “his brother.”
14. Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez: After dating members of the Jonas Brothers simultaneously, the singers created their own squad. Despite rumors and lack of Instagram evidence, they remain closer than ever. Gomez even made an appearance at one of Swift’s Reputation shows in 2018.
Taylor Swift / Twitter
15. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck: This friendship goes way, way back. Damon and Affleck met while in elementary school in their hometown of Cambridge, Massachusetts. As both of their careers were picking up traction, the pair co-wrote Good Will Hunting in 1997.
16. Natalie Portman and Rashida Jones: Even though both call Harvard their alma mater, these two didn’t become close until their Hollywood days. Up until recently, Jones was Portman’s only famous friend. Portman shared, “She would fight beasts 10 times her size to protect the people she loves.”
17. Jon Hamm and Paul Rudd: Things weren’t always so chummy between the actors. In fact, they crossed paths while in pursuit of the same woman when Rudd was a freshman in college and Hamm was a junior in high school. Neither of them got the girl, but they ended up with each other instead.
18. Jennifer Aniston and Ellen DeGeneres: Sure, Aniston frequents DeGeneres’ show to promote her upcoming work, but she also just stops by the studio to see her dear friend. They often enjoy casual dinners together and never miss each other’s birthday party.
Michael Rozman / Warner Bros.
19. Reese Witherspoon and Kate Winslet: These two became friends when Winslet moved into Witherspoon’s neighborhood. Apparently, Winslet knocked on Witherspoon’s door and introduced herself. That’s one way to start a friendship!
Aaron Poole / A.M.P.A.S.
20. Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence: Introduced by Woody Harrelson, the actresses have formed a strong bond over their awkward, yet endearing, personas. On several occasions, they’ve requested that their bestie be the interviewer for Q&As with big names like W Magazine and Elle.
Mike Nelson / Rex
21. Cara Delevingne and Kendall Jenner: Both models, Delevingne and Jenner met while working the same fashion show back in 2014. They still remain close friends even though work keeps them on opposite ends of the world.