Anyone can pull off a low-key Halloween costume, whether it’s cutting two ghostly eyes in a white sheet, wearing a headband with cat ears, or — shudder — going as yourself. That’s why it’s so special when someone goes the extra mile and puts together a truly terrifying look.
With their chiseled features and connections to makeup artists, it’s no surprise that celebrities often bust out the very best costumes each year. In 2018, these stars’ outfits ranged from spooky to hilarious, but all of them were scary good.
1. Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner snapped their fingers and pulled together this sensational couples costume: Gomez and Morticia Addams! Check it out, they even got Thing involved. Talk about looks that are just to die for.
2. Singer Rita Ora was basically unrecognizable this Halloween! Her Post Malone costume looked just like the real thing. For the signature facial tattoos, Rita wisely drew them on rather than injecting permanent ink in her skin.
3. A lot of people identified this couple as Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito from the movie Twins. But only the sharpest eyes identified the person under that bald cap as Jessica Simpson! Her and husband Eric Johnson’s resemblance to the characters was positively eerie.
Instagram / Jessica Simpson
4. Even when she’s in costume, Beyoncé can’t help but be a pop star. In 2018, she went for a throwback look, donning a tank top and pixie cut wig to become the ultimate Toni Braxton doppelgänger. We can only hope “Phoni” belted out some tunes at the party.
Instagram / Beyonce
5. Did a witch cast a magic spell at this star-studded Halloween party? No, that’s just Heidi Klum and boyfriend Tom Kaulitz in incredible Princess Fiona and Shrek get-ups. It sure was nice of them to leave their swamp and pose on the red carpet.
6. John Legend and Chrissy Teigen were already entertainment royalty, but in October they took it to the next level. They nailed their renditions of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles, and by the looks of it, Chrissy spent months perfecting the signature wave.
Indigo / Max Mumby
7. You’re bound to see a ton of superhero costumes at any Halloween celebration, but Justin Timberlake, Jessica Biel, and their son Silas did it with a clever twist. They rocked the night as Lego versions of Batman characters (it must’ve been tricky to pick up a drink).
Instagram / Justin Timberlake
8. Neil Patrick Harris can do it all — act, sing, and scare the heck out of you on Halloween. This year he, David Burtka, and their twins outdid themselves with their portrayal of ghosts from Disney’s Haunted Mansion. You wouldn’t want to pick up these hitchhikers!
Instagram / David Burtka
9. A fashion pro like Harry Styles has no problem acing Halloween, and this year, he debuted an amazing Elton John look. To be specific, he put together a replica of the sequined Dodgers’ uniform that the Rocket Man wore during a string of Los Angeles concerts in 1975.
Twitter / Pop Crave
10. The cast of black-ish wore these Black Panther costumes as part of an episode, but it’s clear they also had a blast wearing them off-camera. Michael B. Jordan himself gave them a big shout out on Instagram, so you know they pulled off these looks.
Instagram / black-ish
11. Ryan Seacrest trick-or-treated this year as a different kind of American idol. He was picture-perfect as the 1980s character Punky Brewster! Who knows how long it took him to hail a cab while wearing that unusual outfit.
Instagram / Ryan Seacrest
12. Zoë Kravitz put a new twist on an old stand-by as a vampire just getting out of bed — or coffin if you’re a purist. Even in a bathrobe, this demon looked pretty intimidating. Don’t even try to talk to a vampire before she’s had a hot cup of blood!
13. Mariska Hargitay and Peter Hermann took to the streets in excellent Black Widow and Captain America costumes. For any high-powered film executives who see this, why not greenlight the Avengers/Law & Order crossover we’ve all been waiting for?
Twitter / Peter Hermann
14. Reese Witherspoon is a very proud mummy. Joining her two Draculas — husband Jim Toth and their son Tennessee — she wrapped herself in chic bandages for this family pic. However, the jury is still out on whether her other son, Deacon, was in costume or just being himself.
Instagram / Reese Witherspoon
15. Even if it’s a fad toy from the ’90s, Paris Hilton strives to make everything stylish. She brought back the Furby this year, and along with it, waves of both nostalgia and nightmares. Only the most confident Halloweeners could pull that off!
Twitter / Dave Quinn
16. Camila Mendes and Lili Reinhart are experts at breathing new life into old characters on Riverdale. They used their skills to bring back a duo all the way back from 2004: Napoleon Dynamite and Pedro Sanchez! Everyone must’ve voted for them in this costume contest.
Instagram / Camila Mendes
17. Groovy baby! Kendall Jenner and a friend paid tribute to the Austin Powers franchise by going out as the British spy and a villainous Fembot. These costumes were so good that they should cryogenically freeze them for next year.
Instagram / Kendal Jenner
18. British comedian Jimmy Carr was for scary instead of funny this Halloween. He dolled up as the villainous Slappy the Dummy from R.L. Stine’s Goosebumps, which makes sense — just like the evil puppet, he doesn’t need anybody to do his talking for him!
Twitter / Jimmy Carr
19. Olivia Munn proved herself to be a huge Crazy Rich Asians fan. She put together an almost mirror-image version of Awkwafina’s sassy Goh Peik Lin. Nice work, Olivia!
Instagram / Olivia Munn
20. With a ton of originality and body paint, Victoria Justice made one of the biggest costume statements of 2018. Her ultra-creepy ouija board outfit was enough to make even the biggest skeptics start to believe in ghosts.
Twitter / Victoria Justice
Which celeb do you think had the best costume this Halloween?
Share these pulse-raising outfits with your friends!