We all remember that moment when we looked in the mirror and spotted that wrinkle for the first time. Where did it even come from? Did this happen overnight? Oh my god… is that a grey hair?! Yes, getting older is not only inevitable, but it’s also very, very real. And as we get older, there is one thing we make a unified effort to avoid — harsh lighting.
So understandably growing older under the limelight can be extremely unforgiving, and nobody knows this to be truer than the Hollywood elite. Through healthy lifestyles, some insider secrets, and probably a few superior genes, these celebs have managed to strut over-the-hill with so much grace that it’s nearly impossible to believe they are actually turning 50 in 2019…
1. Jay Z: This rap legend is hitting the mid-century mark this year, but that doesn’t mean he’s slowing down. In 2018, he and super-wife Beyonce raked in $250 million on tour, and though he is happy raising his 3 kids, he’s definitely still in the game.
2. Jennifer Aniston: While she is 100% anti-botox, she is all about a good skin care regiment, including lasers and microcurrent facials. Aniston also attributes her youthfulness to eating well and exercising… probably drinking that Smart Water, too.
3. Terrence Howard: As one of the greats in entertainment, it’s hard to believe this man is turning 50! And how does someone like Terrence Howard celebrate the half-century mark? He re-marries his ex-wife and love of his life, Mira Pak.
4. Jack Black: This funny guy admitted he just feels lucky to be alive. He might seem like a goofy sweetheart to his fans, but Black confessed to going through a pretty wild and “idiotic” bender during the ’80s. Fortunately, he seems to have wised up.
5. Javier Bardem: Dios mio! Javier Bardem is so gorgeous, and his age is not wearing him down in the slightest. So what’s his secret — siestas, tapenade, wine, and… being married to Penelope Cruz? Probably all of the above. Sigh.
6. Cate Blanchett: It’s hard to believe, but Blanchett decided long ago to throw any concern over image to the wind when she saw how crazy women caught up in appearances could get. Instead, she focuses on work and is absolutely as stunning as ever.
7. Catherine Zeta-Jones: It may just be impossible for this Welsh actress to look anything but stunning. However, in 2017 she did share with W magazine that she drinks lots of water, avoids alcohol, and sticks to an anti-inflammatory diet.
8. Peter Dinklage: Although he had a solid career already going, Dinklage is now truly iconic for his role as Tyrion Lannister in GOT. The wild thing is he almost turned down the role; wary the show would involve dwarf-shaming, Dinklage had his guard up.
9. Matthew McConaughey: It’s hard to believe, but this stud is already experiencing the pangs of getting older. He told People that he went one night on a mattress without special padding and he woke up feeling like he “was bucked in a rodeo.”
10. Tyler Perry: At 50 Perry is one of the highest paid men in entertainment thanks to the wildly successful Madea franchise. But in January 2019, Perry posted a picture of the Geo Metro he drives every day as a reminder of where he came from.
11. Jason Bateman: Remember when we first spotted Jason as little James Cooper Ingalls in Little House On The Prarie? He’s certainly grown up since then, but even after turning 50 in January, the guy is still as likable and funny as ever.
12. Jennifer Lopez: Okay, how is this one even possible?! Well according to JLo, she maintains the appearance of a 30-year-old by exercising daily, always wearing sunscreen, and religiously removing all make-up before bed. Pass that JLo sunscreen, please!
13. Gerard Butler: While he might not have the same physique as he did when he played King Leonides in 300, Butler still looks pretty smoking — especially considering the man is 50. His secret? No one quite knows, but working out 5x a week doesn’t hurt.
14. Ellen Pompeo: Most know her as the titular character Meredith Grey in Grey’s Anatomy — and according to her, that might be it. In 2016 Pompeo told People the sole reason she keeps with the show is out of fear of not landing other work as she ages.
15. Dave Grohl: How does the lead singer and guitarist of the Foo Fighters ring in 50? A giant bowling party, obviously! The event was chock full of celeb rockers and, of course, a giant birthday cake. Remember, no one is ever too old to bowl.
16. Jason Priestley: The former baby-faced Brandon from Beverly Hills 90210 has certainly grown up. After suffering serious injuries in a car accident at 33, Priestley lives his life with a lot of gratitude and self-care. Not a bad way to walk into 50.
17. Donnie Wahlberg: 50 is just a number for this New Kid on the Block. Since the popular band broke up, Wahlberg has transitioned into a successful acting career, currently starring in Blue Bloods. The best part? He’s touring with New Kids again.
18. Renée Zellweger: After a 6-year hiatus, Zellweger returned to star in Bridget Jone’s Baby and a lot of rumors of her going under the knife. Though she never confirmed or denied, she vehemently spoke out about the dialogue around women aging.
19. Matthew Perry: After Friends ended in 2004 Perry appeared in several TV comedies, but nothing that quite matched the former sitcom’s success. Recently he’s struggled with drugs and some health issues. Hopefully, this year will be a fresh start.
20. Marilyn Manson: It’s odd to watch a punk rocker grow old, especially one like Manson. He rang in 50 with a fairly tame gathering, a video even caught him getting misty. And who wouldn’t get misty remembering 50 years of their life!
While some celebrities are deceptively older than they appear, some have other ways of pulling one over on fans. Take Taylor Swift for example. It’s hard to look at this pop diva and think “massively” tall, but the truth is she stands at 5’11”.
2. Karlie Kloss: It’s not surprising to learn that a supermodel is tall. After all, being vertically blessed is practically a prerequisite for models. Karlie Kloss is no exception to that rule. The model stands at 6’1″ and never wears heels (unless it’s for work).
3. Laura Prepon: Standing at 5’10”, Laura Prepon frequently finds herself to be the tallest person in the room and she wouldn’t have it any other way. She is one of the tallest cast members of Orange Is The New Black
4. Khloe Kardashian: Love ’em or hate ’em, there’s no denying that the Kardashian clan was blessed with good genes—height being one of them. So it’s no surprise that most (if not all) of them have dabbled in modeling. While Khloe Kardashian is the youngest of her sisters, Kourtney and Kim, she towers over them at 5’10”.
5. Kate Middleton: Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge should be renamed Her Royal Tallness! Prince William’s bride stands at 5’10” (just like Princess Diana). Don’t worry, she can still look up to her hubby, who stands at 6’3″.
6. Gwendolyn Christie: On the hit HBO show Game of Thrones, Gwendolyn Christie plays a giant of a woman. While her height is more reasonable in real life, she’s still pretty darn tall; standing at 6’3″, she was born to play Brienne of Tarth!
7. Adriana Lima: Brazilian supermodel Adriana Lima has always been successful in her field, and her height has definitely played a key part in her success. This Victoria’s Secret “angel” walks the runway regularly, stunning everyone with her impressive 5’10” physique.
8. Irina Shayk: This model is known both for her relationship with actor Bradley Cooper as well as her strolls down the runway. She’s catching the eyes of more and more people, especially considering that she’s 5’10”.
9. Nicole Kidman: This Aussie actress is 5’11” and her husband Keith Urban is 5’10”. This is the kind of teeny height difference you would never notice… if Kidman wasn’t so obsessed with wearing fancy high heels!
10. Elle MacPherson: When this supermodel was at the “height” of her career, she was known simply as “The Body.” With her girl-next-door good looks, killer cheekbones, and slim 6’0″-tall frame, it’s easy to see why she would earn such a moniker!
11. Blake Lively: The Gossip Girl star, actress, and aspiring lifestyle blogger is 5’10”. Her husband, Hollywood heartthrob Ryan Reynolds, is a whole four inches taller than she is, too. There will be no shorties in this family!
12. Brooke Shields: It’s no wonder that her marriage to tennis player Andre Agassi didn’t work out. The couple was the same height, each standing at 6’0″. If that was all they had in common, clearly a successful marriage wasn’t in the cards.
13. Mandy Moore: The singer and This Is Us star knows that the struggle is real when you’re a tall woman. Standing at 5’10”, she tried to start her own brand of clothing for tall women. A great idea, but in the end, it didn’t pan out. She’s still got her acting career!
14. Jane Lynch: This comedienne is also known for often being the tallest person in the room at 6’0″. It’s not always easy to be a tall lady, but Lynch turned being the center of attention into a career at a young age.
15. Tyra Banks: This actress, model, and media mogul stands at 5’10, which is actually a wee bit short for a professional runway model! Luckily, her “short” status didn’t keep her from making a splash in the world of modeling and then some.
16. Ivanka Trump: Whether she’s gracing the pages of a high fashion magazine or firing people in the boardroom on Celebrity Apprentice, Ivanka Trump’s impeccable poise and natural beauty nicely complement her nearly 6-foot frame.
17. Uma Thurman: When a cutthroat mentality and deadly martial arts skills aren’t enough to sell a killer character, get a tall tough lady like Uma Thurman to play the part, standing tall at 5′ 11″.
18. Sigourney Weaver: Weaver’s 6-foot frame is threatening to even the most sinister of humans and aliens and when you factor in her bad-ass attitude, no one wants to mess with her. Toss in a few special effects, an evil grin, and some snappy dialogue and you’ve got a comic book heroine come to life.
19. Jordin Sparks: Sparks outstanding performance that won her first place on the sixth season of American Idol was more magical than anyone imagined: It made us completely miss that she was 4 inches taller than host Ryan Seacrest, standing tall at 6 foot.
20. Ireland Baldwin: This beauty got her model-quality looks from both parents, Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin, but her 6-feet-plus height likely comes from dad’s genes; he’s six feet even.