When it comes to our keys, we’ve all got embarrassing stories about locking them inside the house, leaving them in the car, or just losing them altogether. It inevitably happens to everyone: house keys are pretty small, after all, and they’re easy to misplace.
But it doesn’t have to be that way! Did you know that with a little bit of masking tape, a screwdriver, and some ingenuity, you can make your life so much easier? Not only that, but your keys are actually good for more than you might think.
These nine hacks will change the way you’ll use yours forever. When you see them, you’ll really never want to lose your keys ever again!
Almost everyone that carries a set of keys with them has had the unfortunate experience of losing them at some point; they’re small and easy to misplace, after all. Only, you probably had no idea that a basic key can do a heck of a lot more than just open a door. Here are nine hacks involving keys that will make your life much simpler!
1. Hide a key under a rock: Getting locked out of your home or vehicle is a huge headache. But it’s also one that can be avoided if you take the right precaution. Use a piece of masking tape to affix a spare key to a rock in your yard in case you get locked out.
2. Use a pill bottle: If you want something a little more secure, super glue a rock to the top of an old prescription bottle and store your keys that way. The bottle will ensure that it doesn’t pick up any dirt or grime while it stays hidden.
3. Attach your spare key to your car behind your license plate: Using one of the screws to keep it in place, stick the key behind your license plate for extra security. This secret location is one that no one would ever think to look, so take advantage of this great trick!
4. Get out the glue and colored string: Are you one of those people who’s always mixing up your keys? Most of us are; they all look the same sometimes! Use some glue and colorful string to make them easy to tell apart (and it even makes them cute-looking, too)!
5. Try using nail polish: If string isn’t your thing, you can easily do the same with colored nail polish! Spruce it up with different shapes and designs. That way you’ll never have to worry about trying to lock your front door with your car keys every again.
6. Use hand sanitizer to unfreeze that lock: If your lock gets frozen during the winter months, as many of them do, apply some hand sanitizer to your key before trying to slip it in. The alcohol helps melt the ice, and before you know it, you’ll be blasting the heat in your car.
7. Make a DIY key holder with LEGOs: Always put your keys in the same place on a LEGO board, and you’ll never have to run around looking for them again! LEGOs are easy to attach your keys to. You can even color code them using different blocks!
8. Weigh down your curtains: If you have curtains that dangle over an air vent, chances are you’ve had to deal with them getting blown about by the air conditioner. If you have an old key, attach it to the bottom of the curtains to add weight. That will keep them straight!
9. Learn how to make an emergency spare key: This trick for making a quick spare key is like something you’d see in a movie. You’d expect someone like MacGyver to be the one and only person to pull off this hack…
These are brilliant! You should absolutely keep a spare key hidden behind your license plate. It’s a smart idea and will make you feel like a secret agent—that’s always a plus!
Share these key hacks with your friends below!
MORE FROM BOREDOM THERAPY