Coca-Cola is by far one of the most popular beverages on the market today. Every time you watch television or listen to the radio, you’re likely to see or hear at least one advertisement about America’s favorite fizzy drink.
What you probably don’t know, however, is that Coca-Cola has plenty of other great uses besides just quenching your thirst on a hot day. The ingredients can actually help with a variety of everyday problems around your house.
Here are 13 creative hacks using Coca-Cola that are sure to come in handy at some point in the near future!
1. Clean your toilet: This might sound odd at first, but the acids that are in a can of Coke can actually break down most of the stains on that porcelain. Simply pour the soda into the bowl, let it sit for about an hour, and then give your toilet a cleansing flush.
dirtyboxface / Flickr
2. Fertilize plants: This doesn’t work on every plant, but certain ones like azaleas and gardenias enjoy the slightly acidic liquid. Pouring a small amount of soda on the base of the plant helps feed microorganisms in the soil, as well.
3. Loosen rusty nuts and bolts: If you’re struggling with a bolt that’s covered in rust and just won’t budge, soak a cloth in Coca-Cola and place it on top of the rusted area. The acid should strip away some of the corrosion and make it easier to remove.
sandeep MM / Flickr
4. Get rid of grease stains: If you find yourself with a tough grease stain on a piece of your clothing, pouring a can of Coke directly into your wash can lift it from the material. If the spot is extra deep, try soaking the clothing in soda before you even put it into the wash.
Daniel Oines / Flickr
5. Remove grease stains from concrete: Instead of using a painful amount of elbow grease to scrub out grease stains, simply dump a can of Coke onto the stained area. Let it sit for a few minutes, and then wash it off with a hose.
Jeff Djevdet / speedpropertybuyers.co.uk
6. Remove dead bugs from your windshield: Accumulating bugs on your windshield is nearly impossible to avoid, especially if you drive frequently. The acid in Coca-Cola will help eat away at the stains and leave your windshield looking brand-new.
iwona_kellie / Flickr
7. Defrost your windshield: Pouring some Coke onto a frosted windshield will almost immediately turn the ice to slush, making it a much faster and simpler way to remove it. You’ll never have to wait for your car to warm up again!
Lisa Stevens / Flickr
8. Relieve jellyfish or bee stings: You might not think it’s a great idea to dump Coke on an open wound—especially after reading how powerful its chemicals are—but it actually helps to significantly neutralize the pain of the stings.
Yu-Chan Chen / Flickr
9. Remove grout: If you have a room in your home or apartment that has tiles, like a bathroom, sometimes unsightly dirt and grime can accumulate between them. This might mean you need to re-tile. You’ll first have to remove the grout in order to do so, and Coca-Cola makes this process super simple.
Amy / Flickr
10. Get rid of skunk smell: One of the most inconvenient things that can happen to you or your pet is being sprayed by a skunk; the smell seems to linger forever! A can of Coke, however, will help put a stop to the odor quicker than soap will.
vladeb / Flickr
11. Remove paint: A thick coat of paint always seems like it’s impossible to completely remove, but not if you have some Coca-Cola handy! Soak a towel in the soda, and then keep reapplying to the intended area until the paint starts to warp. Then, it can easily be scraped away.
12. Treat headaches: We all experience headaches from time to time, and sometimes they can be debilitating. The caffeine in Coke, however, gives your brain a boost that helps thwart headaches and even migraines if you catch them early enough.
13. Use it to cook: There are plenty of uses for Coke when it comes to the kitchen. The sugar makes for a nice sweet taste in various sauces, and the acid helps break down meat like pork and steak perfectly. Bon appétit!
Damian Siwiaszczyk / Flickr
Who knew that this fizzy drink was so versatile around the house? The next time you buy a can, maybe purchase an extra one just in case you have some cleaning to do!
Share these great Coca-Cola hacks with your friends below!