We think it’s safe to say that the single thing that excites kids the most is a chance to go on a trip to Disney. The park truly is the happiest place on earth; people even get engaged (and married) there! It really is a magical place.
But even born-and-bred Mousketeers will be shocked to learn these little-known facts (and dark secrets) about Disneyland.
1. The props you see while waiting in line at the Indiana Jones ride are all from the actual movie franchise.
2. The park has only closed on three days throughout its history. They were the day after JFK was shot; after a major earthquake in 1994; and on September 11, 2001.
3. When the park first opened, tickets were just $3.50! That’d be a steal now.
4. There is one real human skull on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. It’s located on the headboard where the skeleton sleeps.
5. Cast members weren’t allowed to have facial hair of any kind. It was only in 2000 that mustaches were deemed acceptable.
6. There are more than 200 feral cats in the park. They’re actually encouraged as they keep rodents at bay (save for Mickey, of course) and out of sight of the park guests.
7. There’s a secret apartment located inside the Disney fire department building.
8. There is a basketball court hidden at the top of the Matterhorn.
9. They sell almost 3 million churros a year.
10. If you really want a wild ride, the purple and the orange teacups spin the fastest.
11. The mouse ear hats are the most popular tourist souvenir sold every year.
12. On its opening day, Disneyland in California only had 18 rides and attractions.
13. There is a secret pet cemetery hidden behind the Haunted Mansion attraction.
14. All of the plants at Tomorrowland are edible!
15. Walt Disney loved the park so much, he’d often stand in line and wait with guests.
Did you have any idea that Disneyland had so many hidden secrets? We’re not surprised about the churros (they are delicious), but a REAL human skull in our favorite ride?! Too freaky!
Share these weird Disney facts with your friends below!