An amazing picture evokes all sorts of emotions. Capturing a significant moment in time is something photographers thrive on, even if doing so is the result of a lucky shot.
However, sometimes a picture creates nothing but confusion. Whatever was captured in the lens was something even the photographer couldn’t exactly explain, and the images can leave a haunting impression.
Here are 20 bizarre photos that, even to this day, have no explanation behind them—and some of them are incredibly disturbing.
1. This black-and-white photo was taken in 1941 at the reopening of the South Forks Bridge in Canada. No one has been able to explain the young man wearing sunglasses. His attire is completely unlike anything worn in the 1940s, and it looks as if he’s holding a modern camera.
2. French photographer Robert Serrec took this unsettling photo in 1964 off the coast of Queensland, Australia. Some people believe it to be a massive tarp, but it appears to be a huge sea serpent of some kind.
3. This incredibly disturbing photo was taken in Texas just after the Cooper family moved into their new home. At the time of the picture, there were only the four members of the family in the room. When the photo was developed, however, there appeared to be a body dropping down from the ceiling!
4. A man named Gregor Sporri took this photo in 1985 while he was on a trip to Egypt. There, he met a grave robber who had with him a 15-inch-long mummified finger. Whoever it belonged to had to have been at least 12 feet tall!
5. On May 20, 1967, a man named Stefan Michalak was walking through the woods near his home in Falcon Lake in Manitoba, Canada, when he supposedly saw two UFOs land close to him. He attempted to communicate with them, but before he could, they took off. As they left, the ships expelled hot air through a vent that gave Stefan these bizarre burn marks on his stomach.
6. A man named Jim Templeton took this photo of his daughter one afternoon while they were out for a walk. There was no one else in the area at the time, but when the photo was developed, Jim noticed what appeared to be a spaceman peeking out from behind his daughter’s head.
7. This haunting picture was taken by the Reverend K.F. Lord in the interior of North Yorkshire’s Newby Church in England. There was no one else in the church that day, but you can clearly see a figure wearing a cowl standing on the right side.
8. This picture is one of the most famous unexplained images of all time. The focus of the picture is obviously on the Virgin Mary, but if you look in the background, there appears to be a UFO hovering in the sky behind her.
9. In February of 1942, a rumored enemy attack and anti-aircraft artillery barrage known as The Battle of Los Angeles occurred. According to some, this picture of the event might very well show an alien spacecraft.
10. Our Lady of Zeitoun is one of the most famous religious apparitions of all time. Starting in 1968, the glowing ghost of Jesus’s mother was photographed several times a week over a two-year period, and no one knows why she kept appearing.
11. In 1951 in St. Petersburg, Florida, police found these remains of a woman named Mary Reeser. Her entire body was engulfed in flames before her death, but her left foot was left untouched. Nothing else in her home was damaged by the fire.
12. The woman in this picture wearing the brown coat was dubbed “The Babushka Lady” by the FBI. She was standing very close to John F. Kennedy at the moment he was assassinated, and she filmed the entire thing. The FBI tried tracking her down, but she vanished without a trace.
13. In 1975, a couple named Diane and Peter Berthelot were visiting the Worstead Church in Norfolk, England, when Peter snapped this photo of his wife sitting in a pew praying. After the photo was developed, Peter noticed a ghostly white figure sitting right behind her. A local vicar told them it was the ghost of a healer who supposedly haunted the church.
14. This photo of unusual lights, called the Naga lights, was taken over the Mekong River in Vietnam, and it’s baffled scientists all over the world. The red lights appear to shoot out of the water and disappear hundreds of feet into the sky, and no one knows why.
15. For the last 13,000 years, a mysterious dark object has been orbiting Earth. Dubbed the “Black Knight Satellite,” no one knows how it got there or what its purpose is. This photo of the object was taken during an American space shuttle mission in 1998.
16. Between the years of 1970 and 1973, a serial killer named Dean Corll, also called the “Candy Man,” abducted, raped, tortured, and killed 28 young boys. In 2012, 40 years after the crimes took place, this photo of a young handcuffed boy was found on one of Corll’s accomplices. To the horror of police, the boy in the picture was not one of the 28 known victims.
17. On March 13, 1997, this series of unusual lights suddenly appeared over the city of Phoenix, Arizona, and they remained stationary for hours. The Air Force claimed they were flares, but the lights mysteriously reappeared in 2007 and 2008.
18. In 2000, an anonymous woman from Sarasota County, Florida, snapped this photo and sent it to the local sheriff’s office. She included a note that claimed it was the mysterious “skunk ape” creature. No one has ever been able to determine what it actually was.
19. This faint image was taken in 1972 during Apollo 17’s flight to the moon. NASA originally listed the image as blank, but after it was touched up, there was a clear formation of a pyramidal structure. NASA, to this day, hasn’t provided any explanation.
20. A man named Freddy Jackson worked as a mechanic fixing airplane propellers, and he was tragically killed while on the job one afternoon. Two days after his death, his squadron took this group photo. When the photo was finally developed, Jackson appeared to have been peeking out from behind one of his fellow men.
These photographs are just plain creepy. They almost make you hesitant to ever take a picture again!
Share these unexplained photos with your friends below!