It’s safe to say that there have never been more cameras watching people than there are right now. Whether we’re turning into a dystopian society that would make George Orwell cringe is up for debate, but there’s no escaping the fact that camera phones, CCTVs, and Google Street View have all made it harder than ever to hide.
Not only is this bad news for criminals, but it’s less-than-ideal for those of us who occasionally do something silly — and are unlucky enough to have our embarrassing moments immortalized forever. Still, that doesn’t mean we can’t sit back and have a good laugh at those instances later!
1. The man below rode a scooter to work, but he “wasn’t permitted to ride it in the actual building,” he said. But “one night I did anyway. The next day my boss walked up to me with a print out of a screenshot the security people had sent of me mid-scoot.”
2. Umm… what? This looks like a team of archers ready to unclog some toilets at a moment’s notice! They’re either the deadliest group of plumbers ever, or they’re all hunting an elusive species that looks like a toilet.
3. Gentlemen, on your mark, get set, fight! These two guys caught by a passing camera found a nice big lawn to hold their medieval-era battle. Who knows if those swords were real, but the victor certainly earned the title of “World’s Toughest Sword-Wielder!”
4. Well, that’s a bike you don’t see every day. They were popular many decades ago, but now they just seem so unconventional. Unless, of course, you have a monkey buddy posted up behind you getting a ride. That’s a boss move!
5. What would you do if you were walking down the sidewalk and suddenly ran into a flock of pigeon-people? Turn the other way and get the heck out of there, of course! (Do you think these masks fool actual pigeons?)
6. This bird saw a golden opportunity to get an up-close-and-personal photo snapped by a Google Street View camera, and he took it! It also looks like he’s escaping after nabbing some food from an unsuspecting victim.
7. Sometimes, to feel young and free, you just have to slap some goggles on, hop in your vintage vehicle, and cruise down the freeway at high speeds. You can bet everyone driving alongside them was jealous.
8. This decorative display of vandalism caught on Google Maps probably happened on “mischief night,” the prank-filled evening before Halloween. The people who lived in this home clearly had some adolescent enemies who did quite the number with toilet paper. That must’ve been a pain to clean up!
9. This gentleman set up for a lovely date, but it looks like she’s nowhere to be found. He’s hoping at any minute she comes galloping up and joins him to share his banana. Of course, he could always ask that flamingo for company.
10. It looks here like someone should dial 9-1-1 and let the dispatcher know a giant woman in heels is trying to break into a neighborhood home. Just make sure to tell them to bring the extra-large handcuffs.
11. This woman was doing some house cleaning and reorganizing when security cameras caught her just as she was hauling a heavy rug across the room. She almost reached the end of the room when suddenly…
BOOM! She had this to say about it: “One day I slipped right on my behind. Five seconds later, I get a text from my husband (who works a very boring job, so he checks the camera frequently) that just said ‘HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA.'”
12. “One day there was a couple walking into the store, and the gentleman saw a blueberry on the floor, did a double take, and stepped over it. His wife didn’t. Slipped on the blueberry and went flying. We don’t even sell fruit, it’s a department store.”
13. This candid picture begs so many questions. Firstly, why is their a man getting out of the trunk of a car? Is it his car? Who opened it up to let him out? And finally, why is the dog completely passive to all this bizarre activity?
14. One person saw a bizarre sight in an electronic store’s security camera: “Last week I saw a guy with his pet lizard shopping for flat screens.” Maybe the guy wasn’t going to make a purchase until he got the nod of approval from his trusty reptile.
15. “The strangest thing I saw was some guy who came in the church with his dog and started drinking directly from the Holy Water font. He said he wanted his dog to drink Holy Water to make him better behaved, rather than to drink from the toilet.”
16. With all the different personalities that stay at hotels, they have plenty of crazy things happening on their cameras all the time. Many of the circumstances have to do with unclothed people accidentally locking themselves out of their rooms, like this guy.
Imagine what was going through his head when he saw these two guys approaching! Also, what were they thinking? How do you even get out of this situation? Run for the door and never look back probably!
17. “I once watched a girl put on 18 pairs of underwear under her skirt,” a security guard recalled. “Like, she kept looking around like the most obvious shoplifter ever and just kept putting on undergarment after undergarment after undergarment. I totally lost count. I stopped her, and it was like a clown car under that skirt.”
18. One security guard said they saw a man who was trying to relieve himself have a near-death experience: “I watched a guy almost get run over while going to the bathroom in our parking lot. He took off so fast I don’t think he got his pants on before driving away.”
Sure, sure it’s fun to laugh at people who might not have known there was a security camera rolling, but now it’s only fair to look at some of the times that the security itself had some big time fails…
1. Looks like no one at this office is concerned with unannounced visitors getting into this door. Hopefully, a security guard is sitting on the opposite side, or else this place is just begging for unwanted intruders.
2. Why did the person who installed this electronic gate think it wasn’t necessary to include a fence or even a small hut with a guard? At least plant some bushes along the path so cars can’t simply cut around the gate with such ease!
3. Who exactly does this snoozing security guard think he’s tricking? This guy needs to get more sleep at night because if there is an actual emergency, Johnny Cardboard-Cutout isn’t going to be much help.
4. This had to have been a joke, and hopefully whoever drew the picture of the lock doesn’t actually have anything of value in their cabinets. All it would take is a light tug from anyone, and this “security” system would come undone.
5. The people who want all the merchandise inside this store to stay safe better hope that every single person with sticky fingers who walks by is illiterate. Otherwise, the employees will show up for work one day, and everything will be long gone.
6. Most people try to prevent their cars from getting stolen by using a mechanism on the steering wheels or getting a loud car alarm installed. Apparently, this person just wanted to make sure his doors weren’t mischievously opened.
7. They should at least paint the duct tape that’s holding this ATM closed so people don’t immediately realize they can walk right up and take all the cash from this machine. Maybe it’s a secret trap to lure thieves?
8. This person has the right idea… well, kind of. At least they’re trying to prevent their car from being stolen, but in truth, those chains would probably snap as soon as the vehicle’s wheels started putting pressure on them.
9. “Hang on one second while I secure my bicycle to the very thin and movable leg of this sign.” This person should not be surprised if they come out of the store and realize they’re going to be walking home.
10. One look at this security blunder makes you wonder if the owner of this locker knows they need a device with a combination or a key. All it takes is a simple press of the silver safety bar to steal everything inside.
11. This driver took their car security to the extreme! What’s funny is that this Toyota Corolla hatchback isn’t exactly the kind of vehicle that needs so much protection. They should keep the chains at home until they show up in a Porsche.
12. Are people actually supposed to stop and wait in line behind this lonely turnstile when they can clearly walk right past it? No security badges or identification required to get past this “fool-proof” protection, huh?
13. Any seeing person can clearly tell these people don’t really care too much about their home security. The gate seems like it’s more for looks, but even if it is, it’s a bizarre-looking decoration to have in a front yard.
14. This guy better always remember to lock his gate when he leaves just in case someone tries to break in while simultaneously not realizing they can simply walk around to the other side in less than one second.
15. Here’s another car owner who thought they found a surefire way to prevent people from hopping into the driver’s seat and speeding off. They’d better not forget the chain is attached when they drive away, or they’ll be picking up pieces of their bumper off the road.
16. This might be the silliest attempt at keeping this moped safe from thieves. At least the owner can take comfort in the fact that if someone did remove the chain from the metal stud, the front wheel still wouldn’t spin.
17. Guess which four numbers make up the code to get into this door? Here’s a hint: they’re the ones that are scratched off. Someone needs to change this code every once in a while or else they might have to replace a whole lot of their belongings at some point!
18. It doesn’t seem like this person knows how drawers work. As you can see, all it takes is removing the drawer above the locked one to gain complete access to the bottom one. Brilliant.
19. Unless the person trying to break into this gate is incapable of walking, they can simply hop right over the metal railing on the side. Hopefully, this place has security cameras, because the residents might be seeing a lot of unwelcome visitors.
20. Anyone with the ability to lift 15 pounds could steal this piece of rolling merchandise. It almost seems like whoever owns this bike is trying to entice someone to steal it so they have an excuse to get a new one.