It’s safe to say that there have never been more cameras watching people than there are right now. Whether we’re turning into a dystopian society that would make George Orwell cringe is up for debate, but there’s no escaping the fact that camera phones, CCTVs, and Google Street View have all made it harder than ever to hide.
Not only is this bad news for criminals, but it’s less-than ideal for those of us who occasionally do something silly — and are unlucky enough to have our embarrassing moments immortalized forever. Still, that doesn’t mean we can’t sit back and have a good laugh at those instances later!
1. “I used to ride a scooter to work,” the man photographed below wrote. “I wasn’t permitted to ride it in the actual building though. One night I did anyway. It was like 8 p.m. on a Friday and nobody was around and it was like 20 meters or so to the door. The next day my boss walked up to me with a print out of a screenshot the security people had sent of me mid-scoot on that Friday night.”
2. Umm… what? This looks like a team of archers ready to unclog some toilets at a moment’s notice! They’re either the deadliest group of plumbers ever, or they’re all hunting an elusive species that looks like a toilet.
3. Gentlemen, on your mark, get set, fight! These two guys caught by a passing camera found a nice big lawn to hold their medieval-era battle. Who knows if those swords were real, but the victor certainly earned the title of “World’s Toughest Sword-Wielder!”
4. Well, that’s a bike you don’t see every day. They were popular many decades ago, but now they just seem so unconventional. Unless, of course, you have a monkey buddy posted up behind you getting a ride. That’s a boss move!
5. What would you do if you were walking down the sidewalk and suddenly ran into a flock of pigeon-people? Turn the other way and get the heck out of there, of course! (Do you think these masks fool actual pigeons?)
6. This bird saw a golden opportunity to get an up-close-and-personal photo snapped by a Google Street View camera, and he took it! It also looks like he’s escaping after nabbing some food from an unsuspecting victim.
7. Sometimes, to feel young and free, you just have slap some goggles on, hop in your vintage vehicle, and cruise down the freeway at high speeds. You can bet everyone driving alongside them was jealous.
8. This decorative display of vandalism caught on Google Maps probably happened on “mischief night,” the prank-filled evening before Halloween. The people who lived in this home clearly had some adolescent enemies who did quite the number with toilet paper. That must’ve been a pain to clean up!
9. This gentleman set up for a lovely date, but it looks like she’s nowhere to be found. He’s hoping at any minute she comes galloping up and joins him to share his banana. Of course, he could always ask that flamingo for company.
10. It looks here like someone should dial 9-1-1 and let the dispatcher know a giant woman in heels is trying to break into a neighborhood home. Just make sure to tell them to bring the extra-large handcuffs.
11. This woman was doing some house cleaning and reorganizing when security cameras caught her just as she was hauling a heavy rug across the room. She almost reached the end of the room when suddenly…
BOOM! She had this to say about it: “One day I slipped right on my behind. Five seconds later, I get a text from my husband (who works a very boring job, so he checks the camera frequently) that just said ‘HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA.'”
12. “One day there was a couple walking into the store, and the gentleman saw a blueberry on the floor, did a double take, and stepped over it. His wife didn’t. Slipped on the blueberry and went flying. We don’t even sell fruit, it’s a department store.”
13. This candid picture begs so many questions. Firstly, why is their a man getting out of the trunk of a car? Is it his car? Who opened it up to let him out? And finally, why is the dog completely passive to all this bizarre activity?
14. One person saw a bizarre sight in an electronic store’s security camera: “Last week I saw a guy with his pet lizard shopping for flat screens.” Maybe the guy wasn’t going to make a purchase until he got the nod of approval from his trusty reptile.
15. “The strangest thing I saw was some guy who came in the church with his dog and started drinking directly from the Holy Water font. He said he wanted his dog to drink Holy Water to make him better behaved, rather than to drink from the toilet.”
16. With all the different personalities that stay at hotels, they have plenty of crazy things happening on their cameras all the time. Many of the circumstances have to do with unclothed people accidentally locking themselves out of their rooms, like this guy.
Imagine what was going through his head when he saw these two guys approaching! Also, what were they thinking? How do you even get out of this situation? Run for the door and never look back probably!
17. “I once watched a girl put on 18 pairs of underwear under her skirt,” a security guard recalled. “Like, she kept looking around like the most obvious shoplifter ever, and just kept putting on undergarment after undergarment after undergarment. I totally lost count. I stopped her, and it was like a clown car under that skirt.”
18. One security guard said they saw a man who was trying to relieve himself have a near-death experience: “I watched a guy almost get run over while going to the bathroom in our parking lot. He took off so fast I don’t think he got his pants on before driving away.”