There’s no other moment that’s as exciting as taking a vacation! You work hard all year-round, and now it’s time for you to finally take a well-deserved break from the daily grind. Yet, as relaxing as it is to be on vacation, booking one is a different story entirely.
With so many options online, booking a flight is supposed to be easier than ever—but the choices between airlines, flight times, and ever-changing prices can make it overwhelming. Because of this, a lot of people employ tools like Google Flights to help them plan their vacations. Here are nine little-known hacks about the app that take the stress (and cost) out of booking!
Whether you’re a regular globetrotter or a homebody, booking a flight can seem like an overwhelming task. Luckily, Google has made it incredibly easy to figure out with its Google Flights app. Here are nine tips you need to know…
1. Phone alerts: Did you know that you can set up Google Flights to activate alerts? This simple step allows you to receive notifications of price drops in real time, which means you can book the flight you’re considering at the lowest fare the moment it’s available.
Instead of logging your details into a website and constantly checking back, this feature brings all the notifications right to you. And you won’t ever have to worry about forgetting to check prices again. Now can just focus on the beach and your vacay!
2. Email alerts: If getting constant notifications sent to your phone is too much of an onslaught for you, there’s no reason to go totally without. Email alerts are the perfect option for when you still want to know when your desired flights are dropping in ticket price.
When booking a flight through Google, you can actually turn on the price-tracking feature and receive email alerts directly to your inbox. This way, you can save some major cheddar when you travel without the annoyance of constant notifications.
3. Flexible dates: One of the best features that Google Flights has to offer is this flexibility chart. It mostly comes in handy for travelers who are unsure of the exact dates they’re going to be going on a business trip or vacation.
If your plans aren’t set in stone and you want to find out how to save a bit of money, you can use the flexible dates feature to select the departure and return flights that work best for your budget. It never hurts to have some extra cash when out of town!
4. Airport guide: If you’re traveling to or from a major metropolis like New York or Chicago, you’ve usually got more than one airport to choose from. How can you figure out which flights are more cost-effective without entering in all the information on individual sites?
Google Flights makes it easy! With the app, you can see how your choice in airport can affect the final cost of your ticket in a handy little guide. Making that decision is only going to become that much easier!
5. Explore the world: Do you dream of traveling the entire globe but dread the impact that kind of travel could have on your wallet? Not to worry. It’s a frequent stress for many travelers, but Google’s got you covered!
If that sounds like you, then you’ll definitely want to try Google Flight’s “explore” feature; this allows you to see where you can travel and how much it will cost you—with zero commitment. Just look at all those options!
6. Let Google do the heavy lifting: Are you a bit indecisive when it comes to picking a vacation destination? Well, the “discover” feature is perfect for the traveler who knows what they like, but isn’t sure where to go.
All you do is enter in your dates of preferred travel, and then list some of your interests. Google, in turn, will give you a wealth of different places to check out—and they’re all catered to the things you like to do and see when traveling.
7. Find patterns in price drops: Knowing exactly when to pull the trigger on a plane ticket can be a bit daunting. The “price graph” feature is a great way of figuring out exactly the best time to make it happen.
It could be that the time you’re planning to travel could cost you more money! Let this feature remove the guesswork and save you some vacation moolah. You’ll be so happy when you have that much more dough to spend on souvenirs.
8. Date tip: If you’re interested in receiving updates about your reservation that could potentially save you loads of cash, pay attention to Google Flight’s “date tips.” It’s seriously a game-changer.
These can offer you hints and tips to keep you from spending money that you don’t necessarily have. For instance, it will tell you that returning on a different date than your original choice could save you “X” amount of dollars.
9. Top picks: If you’re in a rush and you don’t have time to scan all of the options that Google Flights provides to figure out the fastest, cheapest flight, you can always go with the top option. And here’s why…
Google automatically selects this one as the most affordable and practical itinerary. That way, you don’t have to waste all your precious time scrolling and trying to mark down which plan works the best for you.
While online booking sites all offer different perks, they’re not always clearly spelled out for you. Hopefully, these Google Flights hacks will come in handy the next time you’re planning time off. Here’s to a mellow, easy, and affordable vacation!
Booking a flight can be such a hassle, and you never know whether or not you’re getting a good deal at all. These new features are definitely worth checking out!
Share these tips with your travel-savvy friends below!