Our ideas of hidden treasure usually all look the same: we imagine briefcases stuffed to the brim with hundred-dollar bills, old chests so full of gold their lids can’t close, or jewel-encrusted goblets fit for a king. But not all treasures are the sort that make us insanely rich…
In fact, some of them are actually hiding right under our noses! And while we might not tuck these 22 treasures into a safety deposit box anytime soon, we can all see the value in them. And the best part? All of them were found in the last place we’d expect!
1. Radiologist Ben Heggelman performed a CT scan on an ancient statue of a monk and uncovered a shocking surprise: this was no statue, but a mummified body! Its organs had been removed and replaced with scraps of paper with Chinese characters on them.
2. A homeowner discovered this precious old art after removing some wallpaper. Apparently, in 1997, a dad promised to eat his overalls if the Spice Girls were still popular by the time the room was redecorated. Do you think this dad should be chowing down on his denim?
AngieB1818 / reddit
3. You’ve likely heard of a Swiss Army knife, but how about a Swiss Army computer disk tray? Perhaps floppy disks wouldn’t have become obsolete had these trays doubled as measuring tools like this one.
The_purple_is_blue / reddit
4. One traveler found a simple—yet oddly interesting—hidden treasure in their hotel room: an outlet inside the room’s safe. With it, travelers could feel more comfortable charging their laptops in their rooms while they were away.
ParisianSpartan / reddit
5. Speaking of safes, this guy found one after he accidentally put a hole in the drywall. How long had it been hidden inside the wall of his apartment without his ever knowing? Sadly, there wasn’t anything inside.
6. When a chess player’s knight piece broke in two, she found hidden treasure in the form of a die tucked inside it. Apparently, the Chinese manufacturers simply recycled some materials in making this chess set.
7. Another chess player found his queen was “pregnant” with a pawn when the royal piece snapped in two! Hidden within this chess-ception was some kind of philosophical statement on pawns and ruling classes…
WantedOnAVoyage / reddit
8. Perhaps it was a powerful strike that cracked off a piece of this cue ball, revealing a second ball hidden inside it. Was there a third ball inside that one? Was this a Russian nesting doll sort of thing?
9. A dog went to town on this stuffed pineapple toy—which wore an expression indicating it just loved being torn apart—and discovered another toy inside. This time it was a stuffed emoji-looking thing that seemed embarrassed to have been found without its disguise.
10. Hotel managers must’ve really understood their clientele when they installed bottle openers in all the showers. At the Sonesta Hotel in Duluth, Georgia, enjoying a shower beer wasn’t just allowed; it was encouraged!
ihearttatertots / reddit
11. A native Texan stumbled upon this marker in the middle of a nondescript patch of grass alongside the highway. This so-called “brass cap” actually marks the exact location of the northwest corner of Texas.
MaelstromTX / reddit
12. One guy found a toothpick built into the back end of this spoon—a simple addition, but a real hidden treasure for “picky” eaters. But it begged the question: what food commonly consumed with a spoon would require a toothpick?
woodperson / reddit
13. This dad discovered a teeny compartment inside his daughter’s school-issued shoes. Besides hiding inch-tall cat figurines with crowns and beards, what good could possibly come from this little, hidden treasure?
QuietlySpoken / reddit
14. This situation turns the age-old riddle of “Which came first: the chicken or the egg?” on its head. Forget two yolks; this egg-eater found another egg in her egg. It was egg-ception!
15. Naturally, when a couple hikers found a World War II-era bunker hidden in a German forest, they had to explore it. They didn’t come across any gold, but they did locate tunnels and chambers steeped in history.
16. Tucked away in the armrest of a Delta Boeing 757-300 was a strange remote control that this traveler couldn’t quite figure out. Pushing buttons on unknown devices while 35,000 feet up in the air might not be the best idea…
sethik / reddit
17. While the battle between the imperial and metric systems rages on, U.K. passports have made it easy to avoid any temperature-related confusion. Printed on one of the pages is an actual Celsius-to-Fahrenheit temperature conversion key!
prerryroper / reddit
18. This guy bought shoe deodorant only to find that, once he peeled off the label, it was in a women’s antiperspirant bottle made by an entirely different company! Apparently, the shoe deodorizers recycled their bottles. How eco-friendly!
cl3ft / reddit
19. Few things in the world are better than surprise chocolate. Just ask this guy, who ordered a camera lens and received a complimentary Toblerone bar alongside it! Either that, or whoever packed this box is missing a candy bar…
toastmyoats / reddit
20. When this chocolate hound had a craving and broke off a piece of his Kit Kat bar, he found something heinous: the wafer inside had been misaligned. This was no Kit Kat bar; this was a Kat Kit bar.
21. Sure, everyone loves some support from time to time, but most women probably wouldn’t be interested in this sort of support. That didn’t stop this bra-maker from putting a few tiny hands on their product’s cups anyway.
chegavarik / reddit
22. While clearing out some brush in the backyard of one of his properties, this guy found hidden treasure in the form of a shed! Untouched in years, the shed contained foliage, rot, and some old junk. It almost looked like a mystical hobbit hole!