The world’s most historic and renowned landmarks are often considered so ubiquitous in postcards and magazines that it’s easy to imagine that they simply appeared out of nowhere. Of course, from France’s Eiffel Tower to San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge, these iconic structures took years of hard work to build.
These rare photographs of 18 famous landmarks under construction offer a glimpse into the makings of some of history’s finest monuments. Take a look…
1. The Golden Gate Bridge.
It opened in 1937.
“This bridge needs neither praise, eulogy nor encomium,” said chief engineer Joseph Strauss. “It speaks for itself.”
“We who have labored long are grateful. What Nature rent asunder long ago, man has joined today.”
2. The Eiffel Tower, Paris, France.
The Eiffel Tower was completed in 1889.
It was created to be the entrance to the 1889 World’s Fair.
3. The West Wing of the White House.
4. Christ the Redeemer, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.
It was finished in 1931.
4. Manhattan Bridge, New York.
New York’s Manhattan Bridge was completed in 1912.
Workers taking a break to lounge on the unfinished bridge.
5. Atomium in Brussels, Belgium.
Completed in 1958.
Atomium in Brussels, Belgium.
6. The Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. was completed in 1922.
7. The pyramid of the Louvre in Paris, France; completed in 1989.
8. The Statue of Liberty, New York.
It was completed in 1886.
Lady Liberty was a gift from the people of France to America.
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.”
“Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door.” ― Emma Lazarus
9. The CN Tower, Toronto, Canada, completed in 1976.
10. The Brooklyn Bridge, New York, completed in 1883.
11. Tower Bridge, London, England, completed in 1894.
12. The Space Needle, Seattle, Washington, completed in 1961.
13. The World Trade Center towers being built in New York in 1970. They were completed in 1973.
14. The St. Louis Gateway Arch, St. Louis, Missouri.
St. Louis Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri was completed in 1965.
Another shot of the St. Louis Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri.
Raising a flag during construction of the St. Louis Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri.
15. Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia in 1966. It was completed in 1973.
16. The Empire State Building in New York.
It was completed in 1931.
17. Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty Castle in Anaheim, California was completed 1954.
18. Disney World’s Epcot Center in Bay Lake, Florida was completed in 1982.
Isn’t it amazing how many of these iconic landmarks were built relatively recently, yet these photographs somehow make them feel ancient? History sure is breathtaking!
Share these photos of well-known landmarks under construction with your friends below.
Hot Stories On Partner Sites