When the time comes to quit a job, you normally pack up your belongings, give a few farewells, and leave through the front doors without a ton of fanfare. Rarely do people act on elaborate fantasies to yell at their bosses or punt the water cooler — but some folks do.
See, leaving a job is also the ultimate time to make a grand gesture and never look back — the opportunity to act without consequences, after all, is a rare treat. That’s why these 20 former employees (emphasis on former) seized their chances to make their final work days unforgettable…
1. Gwen gave up a job of 18 years at a refrigerator company to dive into puppeteer work, and she made the announcement through a 2014 Super Bowl ad. On the list of creative ways to avoid a face to face with the boss, a Superbowl commercial might win.
2. Stocking shelves at a grocery store is solitary work. So before taking his final bow, one worker spent his shift carefully turning all the cereal boxes upside down. The manager might not have noticed, but several innocent shoppers probably did.
3. A big spectacle quit is all well and good, but planting your face around your old job is a more satisfying slow burn. This diabolical employee hid pictures of himself like Easter Eggs throughout the place for coworkers to find. Two years later, the clock died — but he lived on.
4. We’ve got a quitter on aisle four! One Walmart employee put her intercom privileges to good use. After identifying herself as “Alexis from electronics,” she ranted about the frustrations of her job and quit for all the store to hear.
5. JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater punctuated his resignation by snagging some beers from the cabin, delivering a colorful slew of expletives on the loudspeaker, and then deploying the emergency evacuation slide. He subsequently slid into unemployment and was placed under arrest.
6. Getting out of this park job will take a few hundred point turns. — and that’s why you should never cross your chauffeur! One driver hadn’t been paid for a month, so he left his boss with quite the jam.
7. Talk about flipping your lid. Bartenders learn lots of clever tricks to impress customers, but this guy used his powers to send his boss a message. Surely, it received a pour reaction.
8. Leaving your job can be a celebration! When it came time for this barista to leave his job, he brought a barbershop quartet to serenade the customers. He also brought with him a crew from the Steve Harvey show to record his dumbfounded bosses.
Michael YourNewFriend / Youtube
9. Not the warm welcome you normally get when entering a Moe’s? Well, when you’re a manager, you get to quit on your own terms. This guy gathered a few employees and choreographed a dance to the song “Ice Ice Baby” to end his shift like a legend.
10. Crushing the competition got to this employee’s head after the boss repeatedly flubbed payments and generally disrespected his workers. He took a stand and ran over the head honcho’s car. A big truck beats having a big job title, apparently.
11. The resignation letter is the moment to reveal your true colors. What else is there to lose? Instead of opting for a Times New Roman bore of an announcement, shoot for the stars! Heck, be like this guy and hitch a ride on a rainbow-powered vacuum out of there!
12. A man named Alexander worked at a New York City pizza shop and grew tired of his boss berating him in full view of customers. Not taking kindly to the disrespect, he dumped breadsticks on the line of customers and walked out.
13. Bad news is always easier said with a professionally baked cake (though they are a little pricey, so without an income, homemade is thriftier). The bad part about quitting with cake is the awkward tension of staying to eat a slice…
14. This gal worked in viral news media, so she used some of her last days at the office to make a video of herself dancing alone all over the office. Marina Shifrin boogied out the door with the words “I Quit!” closing out the video.
Statoquotidiano / Youtube
15. During a rainy, traffic-heavy stand still, one bus driver decided he’d had enough. He shouted he quit, opened the bus door, and left the passengers onboard. How on earth did any of them get home?
16. Above all, protect the nuggets. By far the hardest part of leaving a fast food job is saying goodbye to the delicious snacks. One Burger King Employee quit on shift and then made out like the real King, safely hauling chicken back to his castle.
17. The dress code is B-A-N-A-N-A-S! An insurance salesman showed up to tell his boss what’s what while flouting the harsh work wear policy. He also kept it low key by hiring a mariachi band to follow him through the office.
18. A man named Luke made his resignation letter symbolic. Figuring the company was heading straight down the can, he penned a brief-and-vulgar note on toilet paper and let the door hit him where the good lord split him.
19. You have to be careful with bookstore employees…the stories give them ideas. Some unhappy workers at Borders recorded themselves reading the last Harry Potter book before its release, then posted it online. Mischief managed!
20. Anchorwoman Charlo Greene covered a story about the Alaska Cannabis Club on-air and ended the segment by revealing she’s the founder of the club. She then quit to continue advocacy work.
Okay, maybe you’re not ready to walk out and stick it to the man, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t have a little fun. Office pranks can lift employee spirits, create stronger bonds, and just provide some much-needed laughs. Just remember: a good prank is no joke!
1. Replacing your colleague’s family photos is a classic prank, but when you Photoshop handsome animal faces on their children’s school pictures, it’s bound to get a couple of laughs. “Hey Carol, I think your kids need haircuts!”
2. Covering floors or desks in cups creates a giant pain in the keister for whoever needs to pass through, but here’s the catch: it takes even more effort to set it up! Better not spill or the computer goes down!
3. Being a nurse can be chaotic one moment and really slow the next. So how do they pass the time? Naming every gummy bear color of course. This makes us want to take a break from Haribo for a little while…
4. Never leave your computer logged in while you’re away from your desk. Just don’t do it. You may return to a desktop that was exactly the way you left it, but chances are you’ll find a giant blue monster holding a cookie.
5. How long will it be until he notices? A police officer should have an eye for detail, but it looks like this cop is too busy filling out arrest reports to spot the new furry astronaut hanging from his wall.
6. This is the 4th-floor stapler. It is not to be removed. Except it was moved. First to the 6th floor, then out of the office, and before it could say “copy machine,” it found itself in Disneyland. It may be homesick, but this was probably the most excitement any stapler has ever seen.
7. Ahh, cubicles. An office setup created for isolation, especially to those who cannot look over them. This girl was too short to look at her colleagues when they chatted, so she created a cutout of her head that really captured her presence.
8. To create the illusion that these people don’t work in an artificially lit concrete box, this office installed forest wallpaper. One Star Wars fan must have found it too plain because he added this little Ewok to the scenery. Honestly, it’s an improvement.
9. While most bathrooms now have a hands-free soap dispensers, toilet flushers, faucets, hand dryers, and paper towel dispensers, we’ve never seen a voice-activated version of these items. How many people do you think screamed at the paper towels before they realize the sticker was a prank?
10. Shane, for the love of chicken, stop offering warranties on cooked food! While management must be quite frustrated with Shane, we can’t blame him for having a little fun while serving fried chicken all day.
11. This business ordered an artificial Christmas tree to get into the holiday spirit, but nobody bothered to open the box. Just when it seemed like all hope was lost, on Christmas Eve, a Yuletide miracle happened, and it was decorated after all… kind of.
12. Honestly, this seems like a solid evacuation plan, even if you’re not really sure where you’re supposed to run to. It’s certainly better than waiting around to see what you ought to be fleeing, right?
13. On his very last day of work at PetSmart, this guy made himself the employee of the month — forever. With such raving reviews, we’re sure the company will miss him heaps.
14. Is there anything worse than someone spoiling an episode of your favorite TV show that you haven’t gotten around to checking out yet? Sure, but that doesn’t mean you want it to happen! Case in point, this dude.
15. First, there were tiny houses, then tiny cooking, and now we bring you: a tiny desk. This employee thought he could take a vacation and come back without consequences, but he might need to eat some Alice In Wonderland cake to fit into his chair again.
16. It’s important to be able to express your personality at work. This guy puts on a different costume every week, or maybe he’s just experimenting with cultures. What will it be? Dutch farm girl or Trekkie? With colleagues like this, every day is an adventure.
17. Who doesn’t love a Mitch Hedberg joke? The late, great comedian might have shuffled off his mortal coil, but his punchlines remain, entertaining hungry office workers the day over.
18. It’s really a 50/50 chance of whether your coworker will notice the giant bright red horn before sitting down, or whether they’ll have a heart attack when they’re trying to get back to work. The only way to find out is to pull a prank like this!
19. Have you ever been really sad when you’re favorite coworker is leaving the company? Make a pillow with their face on it so they’ll always be with you! It may creep them out to their core, but it’s totally worth it.
20. On a similar note, if your buddy moves cubicles or departments, make sure they know they are remembered in your heart. This little memorial speaks a thousand words, even if it is vaguely creepy.