They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, and while that saying isn’t exactly always true, there’s no denying the important role that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables plays when it comes to your longterm health. You just can’t beat the power of fruits and veggies!
When you sit down to enjoy an apple or a banana, you probably have a pretty good idea of what that fruit is going to look like. After all, it’s not like their appearances changes much, if at all!
However, sometimes during the growing process, the way your fruit looks can get a little, well… weird. Not sure what that means? Then check out these weird examples of fruit that went wrong and you’ll see exactly what we mean!
1. This banana has twice as much protein to offer as the traditional tropical fruit! Look at these two bosom buddies all snuggled up together. It kind of makes you wonder if its peel is two times as slippery? Hopefully, you’ll never find out!
2. Traditionally lemons are little spheres of citrus-filled goodness. However, this tangy fruit clearly never got that memo. It looks like a yellow-hued dove that’s getting ready to take flight. Could supernatural lemon forces be at work?
3. Here’s yet another double banana—and an inside view of it to boot! There’s something kind of strange about how natural these two bananas look side by side within this peel. With all this extra fruit, there’s no excuse not to make a banana split at this point!
4. Believe it or not, what you’re looking at is a grape. In fact, it’s better than your average grape; it’s eight entire grapes in one! Forget the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles—these are Teenage Mutant Ninja Grapes for the win.
5. What do you do when nature gives you a bizarre, triple-kiwi fruit? Why, you peel that sucker and enjoy three times the amount of delicious, tropical flavor! Sure, it might look a little funky, but that doesn’t make it taste any less delicious.
6. Fruits like strawberries are often known for their very specific shape, but not this monster berry. While the rest of the berries were out there getting ready for swimsuit season, this one has decided to live large. You go, strawberry!
7. Speaking of strange strawberries, you’re probably used to seeing the hundreds of tiny seeds that dot their surface. But did you ever stop to think about what would happen if they accidentally sprouted? It’s definitely a very odd sight to behold!
8. Here’s another sprouted strawberry. Perhaps this one was feeling a bit underdressed and decided that springing some greens would be the perfect way to cover all of its exposed areas. It’s stylish, but not very appetizing.
9. When you pick up an ordinary apple, you aren’t expecting anything unusual. There might be a stem, and you’ll be able to easily identify the base of the apple so you can eat your way around the core. Unless, of course, your apple happens to look like this one. What happened here?
10. It’s funny, but until you’ve seen a perfectly straight-shaped banana like this one, it would never occur to you just how important the banana’s trademark curve is to its appearance. A straight banana just looks like nature went seriously wrong.
11. You know that your fruits and vegetables all have seeds inside of them, but when you shop at the grocery store, many of those seeds are viable. Unless, of course, the seeds happen to be inside of this tomato. These seeds couldn’t wait for the fruit to get eaten before they sprang forth!
12. What’s worse than finding a worm in your apple? Finding half a worm in your apple (ugh). What’s worse than that, you ask? Finding seeds that have already sprouted and kind of look a little bit too much like worms for comfort.
13. A lemon is often more tart and powerful than you might guess considering its unassuming size. There is nothing remotely unassuming about this lemon, however! It’s like a superhero ready to squirt juice right into the face of evil-doers!
14. When you first look at this photograph, chances are you’ll think you’re looking at a pear. Well, you couldn’t be more wrong: it’s an apple! One that happens to look exactly like a pear, actually. How strange. It’s like a wolf in sheep’s clothing, only with fruit.
15. When this person cracked open his orange to enjoy a bit of delicious citrus, he had no idea that he’d scored himself a buy-one-get-one-free deal! Check out the fully formed (albeit tiny) second orange that was waiting to be discovered inside of the first one.
16. Clementines are related to oranges, but they’re often much smaller. You wouldn’t think there was room for this clementine-within-a-clementine to take root, but there it is! Wonder what it looked like once it was peeled open?
Who would have thought that some weird fruits like these could prove to be so disturbing? It’s crazy to think about everything that nature can do—even to the food we eat!
Share these weird fruits with your friends below!