The pool noodle: a long, cylindrical piece of buoyant polyethylene foam. They’re used by people of all ages to float while swimming in the pool — and for some aquatic exercises, too. Noodles must only be used in a pool because, hey, it’s in the name, right?
Actually, there are so many uses for pool noodles that don’t even involve a pool! The foam is malleable, which makes it perfect for a whole slew of other projects and contraptions. These 20 hacks will make you snatch your noodle and run to your craft room.
1. You’re putting your ladder on the roof of your car and you hear that awful screeching sound. You stop, afraid to look at the damage, knowing you just scratched your brand new 2019 Tahoe. Should have used this pool noodle hack to protect your precious baby.
2. Doggy bath time is a messy time, but those days are over with this nifty hack: Just cut small holes in a pool noodle and place it in a circular shape with the hose inserted into one end. Bath time stays outside and your pooch stays happy!
3. Falling asleep in a car has never been more comfortable. No more neck cramps and no more irritated skin. Slice one side of the pool noodle open and slip it over your seat belt. Then, wrap whatever plush towel or blanket you want around it and snooze away.
4. Great for night parties and half the price of the real deal, make any t-light candle float in the pool using slices of pool noodles. All your book club friends will be jealous thinking you spent a ton of money on your ambiance.
5. Make bouncing time safe again, by covering up the springs and edges of the trampoline. That way when you’re bouncing around, you don’t have to worry about falling onto those rusty, sharp springs. Just, you know, the rock hard ground.
6. Stop your little tots from closing doors by placing a small piece of pool noodle at the very top. They’ll be able close the door a little bit, but you’ll always be able to get in and hear them playing safely.
7. Say goodbye to that box in the attic filled with old extension cords. You’ll never have to waste time untangling them ever again with this simple hack. Organization has never been this easy and effective.
8. There comes a certain time in every kid’s life where they become extremely destructive. Let them get their energy out with these DIY lightsabers. They can play all day long without fear that they’ll give their sibling a black eye.
9. The beauty about having an RV is that the seasons never confine your camping travels. Still, that doesn’t mean freezing temperatures should be ignored. Placing a pool noodle around your water and sanitary lines provide the insulation needed to protect your camper.
10. If you’re up for a real DIY project, your kids will love this pool noodle pirate ship. The best part is that you can make it as intricate or basic as you’d like. Finally, a ship that can handle the rough seas. Land ho!
11. While your children are playing on their pirate ship, you can join in on the fun, too. This simple DIY project will let you make a floating beverage holder for those hot summer days. Just cut three small pieces of noodles and use zip ties to secure them.
12. It’s almost impossible to exit your car in the garage without nicking the edge of your door on the concrete wall. Just attach a pool noodle to the pesky wall and you’ll never chip your car paint again. Your detailer will thank you, too.
13. Fishing is fun until you drop your rod in the water and watch it sink to the bottom of the lake. You have two choices: dive in after it or say goodbye to ol’ faithful. Or, choice number three: attach a small floaty to your rod to ensure you’ll never lose your fishing gear again.
14. Another useful hack for every fisherman! You can use this for any piece of equipment: brooms, golf clubs, hiking sticks — you name it. You’ll never stare at a cluttered garage while scratching your head again.
The Family Handyman
15. It’s difficult to store your delicate clothing without creasing or damaging the material. A pool noodle is the perfect solution for keeping wrinkles at bay and making sure each piece of clothing is ready to wear.
16. Sure you can spend money on overpriced wrist rests, or you can just rummage through your garage for a free fix. Your wrists will be singing your praises.
17. No one likes a sad, floppy boot… no one. Keep all of your boots perky and happy by slipping a pool noodle in each of your shoes. It will keep them in pristine condition for many years to come.
Fun Cheap or Free
18. Because pool noodles are very easy to cut into pieces, they are the perfect material to use as a math tutor. The various sizes are a great visual tool to help teach students about fractions. Plus, it’s a different way to learn.
19. On those hot summer days when you’re children want to go outside but it’s a little too hot, just create this easy bike wash play area. All you need is PVC piping and a bunch of pool noodles. They’ll have a blast while staying cool the whole time.
20. Need a quick squeegee? Grab an old rake or hoe from your shed and attach it to a sliver of pool noodle. It’s great because you’re using materials you already have and it takes all of two minutes to construct.