It’s no secret that life can be pretty hard at times. Between work and family and running errands constantly, the daily grind can feel like a never-ending cycle of things that need to get done.
Some of these things are more of a hassle than others. Projects that require multiple trips to the hardware store, for instance, can really pile up just waiting for you to find the time to get them done.
Thankfully, it doesn’t always have to do be that way! There are countless tricks out there with a singular purpose: to make your chores just a little bit easier. Check out these 20 amazing life hacks, and get ready to make some serious progress on your to-do list!
1. You can grow roses without buying a bush! All you need are some rose cuttings from your last bouquet and a few potatoes. Simply insert the base of the cuttings into the potato and then plant them! The potato provides much-needed nutrients and hydration to help the rose form strong roots.
2. Did you know that a little bit of beeswax can transform any pair of kicks into waterproof shoes? Just smear the wax all over your shoes and then use a hairdryer to melt and seal the wax. Once the wax has dried again, you’ve got waterproof shoes that also smell like a dream! Well, at least on the outside.
3. If you need to dry clothes quickly but you don’t have a dryer, you can still make it happen. Simply take your clean, wet clothes and roll them up inside of a dry towel. Ring out the towel to banish excess moisture, and then hang the clothes to dry!
4. Even the squeakiest clean of folks get stinky sneakers. But that doesn’t mean you have to throw them away! Just put a few (unused) tea bags inside of each shoe and let the sweet herbal mixture absorb the unpleasant odors while imparting good scents.
5. Did you accidentally buy shoes that are a little bit too tight? Save yourself a trip returning them to the store by filling them with wet newspaper. Once the newspaper has dried, remove them from each shoe and presto! You’ll find that your shoes have stretched.
6. If you’re camping and you’re having a hard time getting a fire going, toss some chips into the kindling. The fatty oils and chemicals inside of the chips are highly flammable and will encourage your fire to get burning nice and bright.
7. It can be so frustrating to lose an earring or some other small item, but there’s no need to panic! You can use your vacuum to find them. Just affix pantyhose to the end of your vacuum. The nylons will act as a shield, enabling you to snag even the smallest items without fear of losing them again.
8. Worried you aren’t drinking enough water? Here’s a helpful hack: buy (or make) a water bottle that is labeled by time of day. That way you can make sure you aren’t falling behind when it comes to getting that good ol’ hydrating H2O. Remember to refill it halfway through the day!
9. Do you have stubborn toilet stains but there’s no toilet bowl cleanser to be found? Just pour a can of Coca Cola into the bowl and let it sit overnight. In the morning, simply flush—and be amazed that something you drink can also bleach befouled toilets.
10. Baking soda and vinegar can do more than just make a great volcano for your science fair. If you have clogged drains, run a bit of hot water and then pour equal parts baking soda and vinegar down the the drain to bust that clog.
11. You don’t need to buy some sort of special cleaner to clean your shower head. Just fill a bag with white vinegar and tie it securely around your submerged shower head. Remove it the next morning and let water run through it, then use as normal.
12. Worried that the buttons on your favorite cardigan are coming loose? No problem. Just dab a bit of clear nail polish over the threads and let them dry. Once it has set, you’ll have buttons that are almost impossible to fall off!
13. While the importance of deodorant cannot be overstated, there will be times when you simply run out or need it in a pinch. Should you ever find yourself in a bind without antiperspirant, you can simply rub the skin of an orange or a lemon under your armpits in order to temporarily remove foul odors.
14. Want to listen to some killer tunes but only have them on your phone? You can easily amplify the speakers on your phone by dropping it inside of an empty cup or a bowl. Why waste money on speakers when this works just as well?
15. If you’re going to the beach but you’re worried that the ice inside of your cooler will melt too quickly, don’t worry! All you need to do is toss some ordinary kitchen salt onto the ice. That will help it stay colder longer. Here’s to ice cold refreshment!
16. Did you forget to brush your teeth before you left the house? It’s okay! There’s really no need to panic, because simply eating an apple can help get rid of bad breath. Plus, apples are delicious and good for you, so everyone wins with this tasty hack!
17. Don’t you dare throw away that orange peel! With just a little bit of olive oil, you can make these beautiful, nice smelling candles. Just halve your orange peel—making sure to leave the thick pith inside, which will double as a wick. Next, pour some olive oil into it, and light it up! These burn for longer than you think and they impart a wonderful aroma.
18. Got a stubborn jar that you just can’t open? There’s a hack for this that you’ve probably never heard before! Just take a long piece of duct tape and affix it to the lid, then try to twist the stubborn lid off. You’ll hear that magical pop in no time at all.
19. This hack is a must for all culinary types. If you have a pot of boiling pasta and you’re worried about it boiling over, just place a wooden spoon over the pot as pictured below. The spoon will pop the bubbles should they rise too high and threaten to spill out of the pot.
20. Got a smart phone like this and need access to your SIM card? Chances are you lost the tool to help you eject it years ago. There’s another way, though, so don’t worry. Just use a paperclip as pictured below to eject your SIM card without damaging your phone!
These hacks are totally ingenious. If you’re ever in a jam, make sure you add them to your list of quick solutions! It seems like there really is a way to solve every modern problem.
Share these helpful hacks with your friends below!
Popular On Boredom Therapy