There’s a reason big tech companies load up smartphones with six-digit passcodes, thumbprint scanners, and face recognition technology — people want privacy! But even on the newest phones, the camera remains accessible to everyone and that can be great… and also a little alarming!
Because while some folks might treat their cellphones like a fifth limb, others will set their phones down for a couple of seconds or even lose it. When that happens, there are plenty of goofballs waiting to access that camera and take hilariously unforgettable photos…
1. One man left his dog alone for a minute while he gathered lacrosse balls in the yard, and when he returned, he learned you can teach an old dog new tricks — selfie-taking.
2. A man found a fellow university student passed out in the library, and when he started taking pictures, the sleeping man caught him red-handed! We can only hope this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
3. A grandmother and an aunt found an unattended smartphone (does this sound like the set-up to a bad joke?) and after finding out how (sort of) to work the camera, they left this ghostly photo behind for the phone owner.
4. Before getting his finger partially amputated, he had to hand his cellphone over to this surgeon, who — we hope — used said digit’s fingerprint to unlock the phone and take a selfie.
HankDroppenduece / reddit
5. Music festivals get a little crazy, and if you lose your phone at one, chances are, you’re never seeing it again. That’s why every festival should offer Robs and Alexs to find lost phones, take selfies, and return them to the lost and found.
6. After a night in Las Vegas, a tourist woke up to find this photo on his phone. Vegas may be called the city of sin, but this mysterious photo proves it should be called the city of best buds — it can bring together sworn enemies!
7. He went out of town with his friends, only to find his girlfriend did a little tinkering with his phone lock screen and background. She was watching him closely, at least metaphorically.
8. Behaving like a classic anarchist cat, she made long-distance calls to China, sent six texts to all the phone owner’s ex-boyfriends, and then replaced every app with reminders to buy more cat food after the camera captured her pretty mug.
Thrusthamster2 / reddit
9. See if you can follow along: after a night of drinking, a man found a picture on his phone of a picture of a woman on a phone (phone-ception?). It also looked like the woman was trying to take a sip of his drink.
10. Sure, the oral surgeon was only giving his patient a photo to remember him by when he grabbed his pliers and went bug-eyed for the camera. But you have to wonder why exactly those pliers were in the office in the first place…
Snow_Commander / reddit
11. New rule: if someone passes out, you must use their phone to take a close up picture of your face — preferably with cut-up sweatpants as a mask or a birthday hat bra — and then return the phone. Especially if you don’t know the phone owner.
12. The guy in bed? Yeah, he was pants-on-the-ground drunk when these police officers nabbed him off the streets. But instead of throwing him in the slammer, they tucked him in and took some group pics on his phone.
13. He lost his phone in the coop for a few minutes, and when he picked it up later, he learned that chicken beaks are conductive and can operate capacitance-based touchscreens…and they take pretty threatening selfies.
mrnanovideos / reddit
14. Hockey games bring out the inner animal in all of us, but this drunk hockey fan found his inner beauty post game and tinkled “New York, New York,” on the ivories. He woke up the next morning with this picture on his phone and no memory of how poorly he played the classic.
15. If you thought parasailing would get your heart rate up, imagine returning to the boat, checking your phone, and realizing your friends had the power to make your day very, very bad.
Liz Harrison / Twitter
16. Her phone was stolen in the Copenhagen airport, and the thieves used it to document their own vacation…and take a photo that vaguely resembled a boy band’s promotional poster. They didn’t know it ended up on the original phone owner’s iCloud.
17. A wife received a text from her husband. She was excited — after all, he’d been traveling and away from home. But the text was just this photo, and her husband was the sleeping man. So who was this other guy?
Mrs Rosey Crotch / reddit
18. The precedent was set: when you find a lost phone in a Walmart, you have to take a family photo where your youngest son looks like he’s still trying to process a ghost he spotted six weeks earlier.
bmbleb / reddit
19. You leave a bar at 4 a.m. You’ve had a few drinks, but enough to keep your senses about you. Outside, you see a man who has clearly had way too many drinks. What do you do? Handstands, right? Yeah, handstands.
Southern Jeb / reddit
20. When she lost her phone in the park, these selfies taken by a woman down-on-her-luck turned up in her iCloud. But hey, taking pictures with a stranger’s phone must’ve been the most fun she’d had in a while! Or maybe it was chewing on that chunk of butter.
Though these cellphone owners definitely did not take these pictures, they might just keep them on their phones anyway — they’re just too good to delete!
Share these surprise cellphone photos with your friends below!