The thing about ordinary objects is they’re just that—ordinary. From the kitchen toaster to the pencils on your desk, there’s little about them that would make you think they’re hiding anything special.
While nearly all of us handle these sort of items regularly without much thought, in many cases, they’re a lot more fascinating—and surprising!—than we might realize.
Here are 21 photos of ordinary items that had some very unusual things hidden inside them. They’re so odd that seeing them might convince you to start investigating everything around you!
1. Take a look at this dog toy that was destroyed. The doll on the left was the original toy, and it was full of smiles and good vibes. Underneath it, however, was a sad plush toy who probably didn’t want to come out and play.
jpellizzi / Reddit
2. Do you remember those snap bracelets when you were in grade school? The way they instantly rolled around your arm was so cool, but how did they work? Turns out recycled measuring tape was the key to the snap!
Minormorin / Imgur
3. This person broke a bocce ball playing what must have been one of the most intense games of ever. Nevertheless, when they peered inside the crack, they were stunned to see what looked like a pool ball peeking out at them!
cbnimble / Reddit
4. This bra certainly has an interesting and—let’s be honest—slightly creepy design on the inside of its cups. It makes you wonder if it feels like your bust is being held by a strangers’ hands while you wear it! Let’s hope not.
Chegevarik / Reddit
5. Talk about getting your money’s worth when you go shopping! This person bit into a grape, and they found a second, smaller grape inside. That’s what people call a twofer, and hopefully they’re all like this one.
GymPowers / Reddit
6. Whoever bought this product simply wanted a spray to get the odor out of their shoes. They didn’t intend on buying women’s deodorant spray instead! The good thing is that it probably works just the same.
cl3ft / Reddit
7. This person’s curiosity got the best of them, and they just had to see what the inner workings of a golf ball were like. What they found inside was a dull-colored rubber, which was probably not what they were expecting.
Spud_fAce / Reddit
8. This discovery was pretty cool. This ceramic frog was accidentally dropped onto the ground, where it shattered. Inside, however, were two miniature statues of snowmen! This person lost their summer decoration but gained two winter ones!
Brutl / Reddit
9. Can you imagine buying a can of soda only to pop the top and realize there was another can inside? Maybe after they break into the second can, they’ll find a third can beneath that one, just like a soda-can Russian nesting doll!
jamestwatt / Reddit
10. This might be a Kit-Kat, but someone needs to give a break to whoever the employee was that allowed this slip-up to sneak through the cracks. The wafers are supposed to run horizontally, not vertically!
flightos / Reddit
11. This person purchased a laptop not knowing there was a hidden bonus inside: a ruler! Unless they’re measuring anything over two inches, however, they might want to think about using a different tool for the job.
Nickster_345 / Reddit
12. Check out the inside of this tree that someone chopped down. It actually had another thinner tree running down the middle of the trunk! It’s almost like the smaller tree was wearing a jacket made of bark.
Toastiimuffin / Reddit
13. Have you ever looked at a nine-volt battery and thought, “Gee, I wonder how these are made?” Well, if you buy one and open the packaging, you might quickly realize they’re just six triple-A batteries put together. Who knew?
croastbeast / Reddit
14. Many of us have gone bowling, but we’ve never seen what the inside of a bowling ball actually looks like. Well, here it is, and it’s definitely unusual-looking. Now, the next time you bowl, you’ll never look at the balls the same way again.
elmielmosong / Reddit
15. This black screwdriver actually had another miniature screwdriver resting right inside the handle. This person must have been doing some serious screwing to break this tool in half, but once he did, he was treated to a surprise.
shafthurtsalot / Reddit
16. This person bought their pooch a stuffed Cookie Monster plush doll to play with. The dog ripped the toy apart, naturally, but in the process, the owner found a small heart that was actually inside the doll.
pizzapost / Reddit
17. You might think the desks and tables you’re putting your things on are made out of sturdy wood so they won’t collapse. This person, however, came to the startling realization that their table was made actually made out of simple cardboard!
_littlekidlover_ / Reddit
18. Someone broke the pool triangle a little too hard and cracked this cue ball. Upon further inspection, however, it looks as though a striped red pool ball had been masquerading around as the cue ball the entire time!
FLORIDUH / Imgur
19. A lot of people use clotheslines to hang their wet clothing out to dry, and one would assume that the rope used for the line is made of, well… rope! This person tore open their rope, however, and found none other than Mickey Mouse.
DamnItDarin / Reddit
20. You’ve probably walked though department stores around the holidays and seen those decorative chocolate truffle trees standing festively on countertops. If you’ve ever been tempted to snap a couple pieces off them, don’t. The truffles are actually just Styrofoam balls in fancy wrapping.
21. This leather-bound case appears to fit a camera, but underneath the leather exterior is the most interesting part. Whoever made this actually reinforced the material with old toothpaste boxes. It might sound strange, but apparently it works!
Theultravisitor / Reddit
These pictures kind of make you want to go home and start breaking open some your own stuff to see what mysteries lie inside!
Share these interesting finds with your friends below!