There’s an old saying that too much of a good thing can actually be bad for you, but few people actually consider this when they go about their daily lives. Well, one man definitely should have.

While playing tennis on a particularly hot day, he thought he’d suck down a few bottles of his favorite beverage. Then, just a few hours later, he realized that something was very wrong.

Pretty much everyone loves coconut water, but too much of it can be a very bad thing.

1-too-much-coconut-waterAlejandroLinaresGarcia/ Wikimedia Commons

On this particular day, one man had been playing tennis for hours in over 90-degree temperatures. In that time he drank eight 11-ounce bottles of coconut water…

2-too-much-coconut-waterVladsinger/Wikimedia Commons

Suddenly, he started to feel lightheaded and even briefly lost consciousness.


Afterward, the man felt weak and was rushed to the emergency room in an ambulance. In addition to feeling unusually warm and disoriented, his heart rate and blood pressure were extremely low.

4-too-much-coconut-waterKevin B/ WIkimedia Commons

It turned out that the man had too much potassium in his blood, and the culprit was the massive quantities of coconut water he was regularly drinking. Coconuts, by the way, are absolutely loaded with potassium.

6-too-much-coconut-waterWikimedia Commons

An abnormally high amount of potassium can lead to deadly conditions like cardiac arrest.5-too-much-coconut-waterBen Mills/ Wikimedia Commons

Fortunately, the man survived, but he was lucky. Limit your intake of coconut water to just a few servings a day in order to avoid risking your own health!

Please share this warning with your friends and family below.