We live in a culture where a great deal of waste is produced every single day. Luckily, environmental awareness has led to better recycling programs, and some people have even taken to composting their food scraps to battle the issue.
Unfortunately, even as people become increasingly conscious about the amount of waste being produced, the garbage keeps coming. The amount of stuff that winds up in dumpsters each day is staggering.
Thankfully, we can all help out and have fun in the process! There are so many ordinary objects that you’ve been getting rid of that are just waiting for you to give them a second life as something entirely different…
1. You don’t need to throw out your old laundry pod detergent container! You don’t need to toss it into the recycling bin, either. Clean it out thoroughly, stock it up with your favorite tissues, and voila! A brand-new tissue holder. Home Storage Solutions
2. Candles are soothing, nice smelling decorations to have around the house. When the wick burns out in yours, don’t throw them away, collect the ends of the remaining candles and make a brand new one for your home!
Happy Go Lucky Blog
3. Baking up chocolate cake mix inside of old orange peels is common practice on the campsite, but it doesn’t have to stop there! If you peel your oranges carefully enough, you can put the rind aside and make yourself a delicious cake later on in the week.
Just A Pinch
4. Do you hate sending milk gallon after milk gallon to the recycling bin, but you’re stumped about what else to do with them? Why not cut them like pictured below and make easy planters for your spring garden?Eyes on Nature
5. If you are getting rid of your cereal boxes when they are empty, stop everything and listen up. Instead of getting rid of them, cut them like pictured below and decorate them as you see fit and presto, beautiful magazine holders! Everyday Dishes
6. Mason jars have so many great uses, so you’d better think twice before hurling these into the bin. With a little bit of paint and some imagination, you can whip up beautiful vases to decorate your home or office.
Dwelling Happiness 7. Paper lanterns like this are great, but because their wire frames are covered with, well, paper, they can get dingy or fall apart pretty quickly. Don’t banish them to the curb, use the frame to create a whole new lantern!
The decoration for your new lantern doesn’t have to be anything as elaborate as what is pictured below, but this should serve as some great inspiration. Do you have old jewelry or pieces of cutlery you love but don’t use? They might make a perfect decoration for your new lamp.
8. Even the most cherished family board games need to be replaced from time to time. That doesn’t mean they need to leave your life! Look at this cool trick, transforming these board games into cool purses and satchels.
9. Plastic containers like these used to store stuff like almonds and brown sugar typically get recycled once they have been emptied of their contents, but it doesn’t have to be that way! With some nice labels and some bright paint for the lids, they can stay in your home for ages. Lewisville Love
10. Have you been meaning to get rid of that massive sun-bleached garden hose sitting out on your patio? Then now is the perfect time to transform it into this very cool looking outdoor rug! All you need to do it is time and some ties. Our Garden Path Delights
11. Men go through their button down shirts like crazy, and ripping those designer duds up to use as rags around the house can feel like a real waste of nice material. Why not whip out the sewing machine and transform those button down shirts into button down pillows?Country Living
12. If you are a chapstick or lip gloss fan then you already know just how frustrating it can be to get to the bottom of the tube and have perfectly good gloss or chapstick that’s out of reach. That’s why we recommend melting them down and storing them in an old Altoid’s tin! Beauty Lish
13. You have probably already heard about how to make sun tea using just tea bags, the heating power of the sun, and lots of time. However, did you know that you can make an easier, tastier sun tea using your leftover pineapple peels? Crazy, but it works like a treat.
Wow, some of these tips to recycle everyday items are just spectacular. Talk about changing the way you look at the items you throw away!
Share this crafty post with your friends below!
Popular On Boredom Therapy