As long as you keep your eyes open, it’s impossible to get bored at a museum. Masterpieces and surprises await you around every corner, and you never quite know which pieces will stun you. In rare cases, it might even be a painting of your own face!
These lucky museum guests stumbled upon their exact doppelgängers in old portraits. In fact, for many of them, the resemblance is so striking that you have to wonder if they might’ve discovered long-lost relatives…
1. For decades now, Weird Al Yankovic has spoofed the biggest pop songs on the radio. It turns out that his face is also a parody of sorts. He looks just like St. John the Baptist by Leonardo da Vinci! Maybe we should call him St. Al from now on?
Twitter / alyankovic
2. Every parent loves showing off pictures of their new baby. Naturally, this proud dad couldn’t help but show off his kid when they found the exact likeness hung up on the wall. This pic will surely get more than a few likes online.
Twitter / hifrienditsme
3. If we didn’t know better, we would think that this girl actually posed for the portrait! The facial resemblance, especially in the eyes, is uncanny. Too bad museum works cost millions of dollars because this would look great in her living room.
Imgur / davidurbon
4. It’s a staring contest for the ages! When one art admirer visited a Zurich museum, he never expected to come face-to-face with his own profile. It looks like these two guys must go to the same barber as well.
Twitter / Melbourneer
5. When music professor Ross Duffin spotted this painting, he realized that he missed out on his real calling — becoming a knight. Ross certainly has the looks for it, but he sadly forgot his plumed helmet.
Twitter / Ross W. Duffin
6. Even science museums can be great for spotting lookalikes! During a family vacation to Italy, the Mansfields came across the caveman version of their son, Drew. Perhaps he found a distant ancestor?
Facebook / Todd Mansfield
7. Much of the time, twins wearing matching clothes come off as tacky. In this case, however, the museum fan needs to get herself a giant red hat — pronto!
8. While studying abroad in Spain, a Redditor and his classmates saw this painting of medieval war hero El Cid. They immediately thought their friend was El Cid’s second coming, so he happily posed for a photo.
9. These two blokes have matching hair, beards, and outfits — that’s a perfect score right there. Granted, it’s a fair assumption that the jacket in the painting didn’t come from North Face.
Imgur / Davidurbon
10. As the old Herman’s Hermits song goes, “I’m Henry the Eighth I am, I am.” This regal fellow bears more than a passing resemblance to the famed monarch. Though based on his authentic costume, it seems their meeting wasn’t much of a coincidence.
Reddit / scrmedia
11. What turns a good hair day into a great hair day? Well, finding a painting of your own lush locks will do the trick. You can bet this gentleman has a matching white dog as well, though unfortunately he wasn’t allowed to bring it inside the museum.
Reddit / racoon_goon
12. Hey now, don’t look so down. You’re supposed to be happy when you find your museum lookalike. With long hair like that, you two could start a seriously good metal band.
13. It turns out you don’t need to rely on modern shampoos and conditioners to achieve maximum volume. Despite the hundreds of years separating them, each of these dudes managed to cultivate his own mushroom cloud of hair.
14. Paintings are great, but some museum guests find sculpture doppelgängers, too! These two are almost a perfect match. She just needs some puffier sleeves, while all the bust needs is…an entire lower body.
15. This art fanatic may have just found his next Halloween costume in Íñigo Melchor de Velasco, a 17th-century Spanish nobleman. Not many people would be able to guess who he is, but at least it would be easy!
Imgur / joahdato
16. After bumping into this photograph of a very familiar-looking samurai, this Redditor wondered if he went though some kind of armor-collecting phase he forgot about. Since the picture was over 100 years old, he might’ve forgotten he was a time traveler, too.
Reddit / datman510
17. Isn’t it so embarrassing when you show up to an event wearing the same outfit as somebody else? Actually, when you just so happen to match a painting, it’s pretty stylish. The red scarf and flowers are also a neat coincidence.
18. One Louvre visitor snapped this excellent pic of another tourist and his twin painting. You have to wonder: did he even notice his doppelgänger in the frame, or did he just walk right by?
Reddit / realbobsnyder
19. The only time you expect to see your face framed in a museum is in the bathroom mirror. Nevertheless, this woman encountered what must have been her great-great-great grandmother, which must have felt pretty… great.
20. Here we’ve got three lookalikes for the price of one! There’s an ordinary museum visitor standing next to a photograph of Mexican writer and art critic Juan García Ponce standing next to his own portrait.
Facebook / Mike Kabler
21. Strike a pose! This red-bearded gentleman channeled his inner Ferris Bueller by mimicking the poses of the artwork. Hopefully he got out of the museum before his principal caught him.
22. Have you ever completely forgotten about a past job? Well, this guy blacked out all memories of his time as a medieval monk — until he came face-to-face with a painting of himself in his old uniform.