When you have a headache, chances are you immediately reach into your medicine cabinet and look for a pain reliever. For some people, this means aspirin. It’s one of the most commonly used analgesics on the planet!
But just how often do you turn to aspirin when you have another problem that needs solving? Probably not very! In reality, that the jar of aspirin that’s sitting in your medicine cabinet has many other uses besides the one it was made for. Check out these awesome aspirin hacks you never knew!
Aspirin is one of those medications that almost everyone has taken at one time or another. It’s usually prescribed as an over-the-counter analgesic (painkiller) to treat minor aches and pains, but it actually has a surprising number of uses most people don’t know about.
Sometimes it’s taken by people who have suffered heart attacks, but there are so many other things your aspirin can do. Here’s exactly why it’s so important to always have a bottle around…
1. Fight dandruff: Aspirin can help promote a healthy scalp. The salicylic acid in it is a strong moisturizing agent, and more moisture means less of the white stuff on your head. Sounds pretty good, right?
Just crush two or three pills into a powder and mix them in with your shampoo. When applying, let the mixture sit on your head for a few minutes after you lather, then rinse out as normal.
2. Treat acne breakouts: Aspirin can also be used as part of a skincare routine to leave you pimple-free! Salicylic acid removes dead skin cells and oils. It also reduces redness and swelling.
Make a paste of about five crushed aspirin tablets with a quarter-cup of water and a teaspoon of honey (for added shine). Apply it and leave it on for 10 minutes before washing off and moisturizing as usual.
3. Banish sweat stains: Is there anything worse than trying to get an icky sweat stain out of your favorite shirt or blouse? Luckily, aspirin can help here, too! Wardrobe rescue, anyone?
Just make a paste of about five aspirin tablets mixed with a quarter-cup of water and apply it directly to the stained area. Next, wash as usual. You’ll be impressed with the results!
4. Car repair: Here’s one of the craziest things aspirin can do. Let’s say you try to start your car only to find that the battery has died. Oh no! Believe it or not, you can jumpstart it with aspirin…
Just put a couple of aspirin tablets into your battery—yes, really. The salicylic acid reacts with the sulfuric acid in the battery to create just enough charge to get you to the auto body shop!
5. Freshen up flowers: That’s right, the salicylic acid in aspirin saves the day again! The same stuff that’s so good for your skin is also good at keeping your bouquet of roses fresh. Who knew?
If you want your flowers to last a little bit longer, you can keep mold and decomposition at bay with aspirin. Crush up a tablet and put it right into the water of your vase. How pretty!
6. Brighten a load of whites: Much like with sweat stains, salicylic acid can neutralize stains and dinginess on even white pieces of clothing. Popping some aspirin into a tub of hot water can brighten whites in a snap.
For the best results, crush six aspirin tablets in a bucket of warm water and soak all of the clothes you want to brighten for 15 minutes. Then wash and dry them as usual and savor the look and feel of your refreshed wardrobe.
7. Smooth calluses and soothe aching feet: Stubborn calluses are uncomfortable and a hassle to get rid of unless you can afford regular pedicures. Thankfully, it doesn’t have to be that way because of your secret weapon…
All you need to do is soak your feet in a bath of warm water, crushed aspirin tablets, and a little bit of lemon. Let them soak until the water is cold, then simply scrub away the calluses with a pumice stone.
8. Heal a hickey—fast: Is there anything more embarrassing then waking up after a hot date to find yourself with a big hickey on your neck? No, especially when you have to go to work with it!
Here’s where aspirin can be your best friend. Because aspirin helps with blood flow, applying a paste of aspirin and water will break up the blood on the surface of your skin and have that hickey gone in a few hours.
9. Stop a stroke: At this point, most people know that if you think you might be experiencing a heart attack, then you should take aspirin immediately. Doing this can totally save your life.
But it’s not the only life-threatening event that aspiring can help you survive. If you think you are suffering from a stroke, take aspirin. That can prevent the clogging of crucial arteries.
Who had any idea that this medicine cabinet staple could be put to so many different uses? Now that you see everything it can do, it’s time to try out some of these stellar tips!
Share these aspirin hacks with your friends below!