It’s safe to say that we’re usually not too worried about the side effects of food when we eat it. Sure, knowing how many grams of fat are lurking in peanut butter might be a cause for concern, but in today’s day and age, most of the stuff on your plate can’t cause you too much harm… right? Wrong!

In 2014, a Chinese man learned this lesson the hard way. He’d been indulging in his favorite dish when he started suffering from some peculiar adverse effects. He rushed to the doctor where X-rays revealed a horror that was enough to cause just about anyone to swear off food forever…

In 2014, word spread about a Chinese man who’d been suffering from awful stomachaches and itchy skin. The man, who remained anonymous, naturally brought his concerns to a doctor.

Daily Mail

Once the man spoke with doctors, they instantly admitted him to an emergency room at the Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital in Guangdong Province. There, doctors began questioning him about his strange symptoms…

But it was when the man told them about his diet that everyone realized just what kind of issue they were dealing with. With their patient still in pain, doctors conducted a round of X-rays. The results went on to horrify people following the story all across the globe…

CNN

Completed X-rays showed the man’s internal structures were all in order. But all the little white dashes and specks were cause for concern; in fact, they confirmed what the doctors had been fearing…

One doctor, Dr. Yin, confirmed everyone’s worst nightmare: those dense white spots that were captured in the X-rays were actually worms! How in the world could this man have so many worms in his body? And what did he eat to cause such a thing?

The man’s favorite food, he told the doctors, was sushi, or sashimi—raw fish. Studies have shown that consuming raw and undercooked fish could lead to any number of parasitic infections. But could that really result in such a horrible worm infestation like this?

According to Dr. Yin, consuming parasite-infested food lets “eggs make their way into the digestive system, where they are absorbed as nutrients. As the eggs hatch, the larvae are spread throughout the body via the bloodstream.” Yuck!

News of this man’s parasitic body and images of his X-rays spread to Europe and then to America, where sushi-lovers everywhere gagged in unison. Although, certain elements of the story didn’t line up in the original reporting…

For starters, the first article that broke the story of the man and his worm-filled X-rays claimed that he had contracted cysticercosis. That gave plenty of readers pause—and for good reason.

AVCJ

Cysticercosis infections are derived from a parasite found only in raw pork. In other words, the man could’ve eaten sashimi all day long and he still never would’ve developed an infection like the one seen in his X-rays. So, what really happened?

Annick Vanderschelden / Flickr

Online fact-checkers at Snopes.com (pictured) did a little digging to answer that question. In their research, they found the story of the Chinese man with a parasitic infection bore a lot of similarities to another story from 2014…

Published by Ming-Pin Lin, Yen-Li Chen, and Wen-Sheng Tzeng in the British Medical Journal, this case report featured a 74-year-old man who ended up in the hospital with “a sudden onset of gait disturbance, memory loss and disturbance of consciousness.”

Just as the Chinese man had confessed his love for sushi and sashimi to doctors, the man in this report had a unique appetite, too: he liked eating raw beef and pork. So, doctors conducted X-rays. Take a guess at what they found…

Yoshiaki Miura / The Japan Times

The 74-year-old man’s X-rays revealed patterns that looked a lot like those inside the alleged sashimi-eating Chinese man. Additionally, according to this particular report, the markings weren’t worms—though the truth wasn’t any better.

British Medical Journal

“The brain CT scan, brain MRI, abdominal CT scan and plain X-rays had a characteristic ‘starry sky’ appearance, revealing calcified foci in muscle,” the report’s authors wrote. So, what were calcified foci?

British Medical Journal

In other words, X-rays and CT scans picked up calcified cysts, the side effects and the end result of a parasitic infection. In the cases of both these poor men, there was no doubt about it: they had a parasite problem.

bubamarkus / YouTube

The team at Snopes suggested the original story—that the man contracted the parasites from too much sashimi—might have been an error in translation. Possibly, it was raw pork the man had eaten, not fish. Still, that shouldn’t give anyone permission to eat so much raw fish…

BBC reported on another British Medical Journal article in 2017, this one concerning a 32-year-old man from Lisbon, Portugal. Like the Chinese man and the 74-year-old, he ended up in a medical facility with similar stomach pains.

There, it didn’t take long for doctors to diagnose this man with anisakiasis—a parasitic infection caused by the consumption of raw fish. Sure enough, doctors “found the larvae of a worm-like parasite firmly attached to an area of swollen … gut lining,” BBC wrote.

Global News

So far, most cases of anisakiasis were reported in Japan, where sushi and sashimi consumption is par for the course. “However, it has been increasingly recognized in Western countries,” pointed out the reports’ authors.

Global News

While anisakiasis might be prevalent in Japan, there’s a commonly used American contraption that 53-year-old Stephanie Brauns of Withamsville, Ohio, learned is a hotspot for bacteria.

Though nothing about her morning routine changed over the years, she couldn’t help but notice something started to feel off. Every day, around the exact same time, she would begin to feel ill. Still, she struggled to pinpoint exactly why.

Stephanie felt this way so frequently that she began to wonder what she was doing wrong. By the time she was ready to head for the door, she would be so unbelievably sick that going to work seemed impossible.

But that’s when she had a sudden realization: “I always had my coffee at home,” Stephanie pointed out. “And within three sips… um, having severe reactions.” Eventually, at the suggestion of a friend, she read an article online that changed everything…

The article mentioned how many coffeemakers feature certain dangerous aspects, like collecting dirt. It also explained that the devices often gather a variety of mold and bacteria inside, and they can harbor more germs than a toilet seat!

[Coffeemakers] are certainly a moist environment where mold and bacteria are known to grow in high number,” Kelly Reynolds, associate professor of public health at the University of Arizona, explained. But could it really be enough to make Stephanie sick?

Absolutely, according to Kelly. While the human body can put up with this bacteria for a limited time, “…at some point they’ll grow to levels high enough to cause sickness,” she confirmed.


Upon learning this, Stephanie was—understandably—afraid of what she might find. So she brought the coffeemaker into her office to open it up and investigate. When she finally plied off the lid using a screwdriver, she was beyond repulsed by what she found inside…

Not only was there an immense level of calcium buildup, but a brownish mold had grown there as well. “It was horrifying,” Stephanie later admitted. She was disgusted by her discovery.


Perhaps what shocked Stephanie the most was just how difficult the product’s design made it to clean in the first place. She began to wonder whether there was even an option to avoid this kind of bacteria buildup from happening in the future…


“It is impossible to get to the full tank, unless you dismantle this machine, which I haven’t figured out yet,” Stephanie said. “Outside of taking a hammer to it, I don’t know how to completely open it and see what’s inside.”

While it was horrifying to find the disgusting dirt and sludge built up inside her coffeemaker, Stephanie was glad that she’d finally uncovered the root of her problem. Then, she had an idea…

Stephanie began focusing on bringing awareness to the issue. Not only did she want to warn the public of the dangers, but she wanted to make sure they didn’t just ignore the symptoms either. She stressed that manufacturers needed to make their machines easier to clean.

In the meantime, Stephanie sent a sample of the buildup to the producers of her coffeemaker. While she didn’t receive an answer, she knew that the majority of such products did contain coliform bacteria.

When the word spread about Stephanie’s discovery, many people were quick to reach out with similar stories. Some, like Carolyn Forté of the Good Housekeeping Research Institute, even offered a helping hand…

Carolyn and a number of other publications, like Home Appliances and Cleaning Products Lab, suggested that using a vinegar solution would likely work best, since it contained sanitizing properties.

Carolyn was sure to mention how Stephanie and others could be sure to keep their coffeemakers as clean as possible. “The carafe, lid, and filter basket should be cleaned daily with warm, sudsy water,” she said.

But people like Stephanie, who use their coffeemakers every single day, do need to perform maintenance a few times a year, too. “A coffeemaker that’s used daily should be decalcified about once per month in hard-water areas and every two to three months in soft-water areas,” Carolyn concluded.

The same kind of maintenance also goes for people who use pod-based coffeemakers, like a Keurig. By placing a solution of water and white vinegar into the water dispenser and running it through, they will effectively clean the mechanism inside.

As for Stephanie, her love for coffee was far too great to ever give it up. So, like everyone else, she simply needed to keep up with cleaning her coffeemaker regularly if she had any hope of avoiding possible medical complications!