The world is a wonderful place, but it’s also a very weird place. Rats eating pizza and virtual reality goggles? Will this madness ever stop? If history is anything to go by, the answer is no.
From a desert country importing camels to putting kidneys in your pelvis, these 25 weird facts will stick with you ’til the end of time. After all, truth is often stranger than fiction… but these weird facts make fiction look downright boring!
1. The Japanese embassy in Paris has a special 24-hour hotline for Japanese visitors who develop debilitating psychological problems because the city is not as nice as they imagined it to be.
2. When you get a kidney transplant, surgeons usually just leave your original kidneys in your body and put the third kidney in your pelvis.
3. Rhubarb grows so fast you can hear it.
4. The founder of Match.com lost his girlfriend to a guy she met on Match.com.
5. Extra-strength placebos work better than regular-strength placebos. Also, placebos work even when the patient knows they’re placebos.
6. In 1919, a flood of molasses killed 21 people in Boston.
7. Malaria has killed half of all people who have ever lived.
8. Hockey player Guy Lafleur released a disco album. Every song is just a disco beat and Guy listing hockey tips in a monotone voice.
9. There is a disease called Maple Syrup Urine Disease that causes one’s urine to smell like maple syrup.
10. Oxford University is older than the Aztecs. Teaching began there as early as 1096.
11. Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia.
12. There’s more bacteria in your mouth than in your rectum.
13. The Swahili word for “coconut” is “nazi.”
14. You can fit every planet in the solar system between the Earth and the Moon in a straight line with room to spare.
15. Oreos existed before sliced bread.
16. Can openers weren’t invented until 48 years after the invention of cans.
17. Kangaroos can’t jump backwards.
18. German chocolate cake isn’t from Germany. It’s named after Sam German, an American baker.
19. An avocado has twice the potassium of a banana.
20. Super glue was originally used to seal wounds in the military field.
21. There are more ways to arrange a standard deck of cards than there are atoms in the solar system.
22. The state of Wyoming only has two escalators.
23.The Ottoman Empire was still in power when the Cubs won the World Series the time before this year.
24. Samuel L. Jackson was an usher in Martin Luther King Jr.’s funeral.
I couldn’t believe these were true. Prepare to wow your friends with your newly acquired stable of weirdness!
Share these wild trivia facts with your friends below!