Trying to get a lifelong user of Colgate toothpaste to give up their precious teeth cleaner and switch to Crest takes a heck of a lot of effort. That’s why the people who work in advertising have to really think outside of the box — and why they’re so darn smart!
Companies shell out the big bucks to work with ad agencies. As they say, it takes money to make money, and there are plenty of companies who don’t tighten their purse strings when trying to snag new customers. These outdoor advertisements, however, really took things to another level!
1. As a kid, it was always exciting when you knew a box of cereal had a toy hidden somewhere inside. Well, the fun doesn’t have to stop just because you’re an adult. Honda’s advertisement had a real “prize” car spilling out of a massive box of cereal.
2. Ariel: It’s always a challenge to keep white clothes white, especially when you wear ’em a lot. At first, it doesn’t look like there’s much to this advertisement, but Ariel knows their product will keep white linen looking brand-spanking new.
3. Colgate: Maintaining a nice white set of chompers isn’t easy, and it’s hard to tell which toothpastes are the best with so many to choose from. But, according to this ad, if you choose Colgate, your teeth will sparkle like a light’s shining on them.
4. Yahoo! Mail: Nearly everyone uses email nowadays, and Yahoo! knows it. One of the most annoying aspects of email is trying to send attachments too large, so Yahoo! wants everyone to know their users can send attachments the size of highway overpasses.
5. Adidas: When you’re a company like Adidas and have huge competitors like Nike and Reebok, you need to pull out all the advertising stops. So what do you do? Construct a massive goalie arching across a popular highway, of course!
6. Mondo Pasta: Slurping long strands is one of the best ways to enjoy pasta. From the looks of Mondo Pasta’s ad, their spaghetti is so delicious that even if it was anchored down you wouldn’t want to stop your slurp.
7. IKEA: When you live in a small apartment in a big city, it’s always a challenge to find furniture that fits without making your living quarters look crowded. IKEA knows furniture finagling is like an intricate game of Tetris.
8. Look: Everyone knows seat belts are important, but many passengers still don’t buckle up. Just because you’re two feet behind the driver doesn’t mean you can’t get slingshotted out the front windshield.
9. Imodium: There’s only one thing worse than stomach problems: after relieving yourself of said problems, realizing you have no toilet paper left. Imodium’s brilliant ad lets people know they can skip the stomach issues altogether.
10. Trying to find the right construction company can be a headache. You need one that has all the right tools to get the job done efficiently, and this company wants potential customers to know they have the strongest tools for the most difficult jobs.
11. People go to the beach to enjoy the waves, the relaxation, and especially the sun. But, too many harmful rays can cause skin cancer, and this clever silhouette reminds beach-goers to take care of their skin.
12. Carlo & Co.: If you have a mean head of hair, you obviously need someone talented to help tame it when it gets too long. The employers at Carlo & Co. know this, so they painted their employee vehicle to make it look like they’re always ready to get cutting.
13. IMAX 3D: Anyone who’s ever been to a 3D movie has worn those paper glasses with the red and green lenses to help the onscreen images come to life. IMAX wants people to embrace experiencing the world through their unique 3D films.
14. Kit-Kat: The people over at the Kit-Kat headquarters know we all spend way too much time staring down at our phones instead of having actual human-to-human interactions. So, they set up a genius little bench where people can actually have a conversation in person, phone free.
15. Kleenex: Allergy season affects a lot of people, and not having a tissue when you absolutely need one is a most uncomfortable feeling. Kleenex thought of this hilarious advertisement to remind people not to leave home without them.
16. Bounty: Messes come in all shapes and sizes, and during the summer, melting Popsicles are the cause of plenty of these headaches. But, Bounty wants everyone to know even the stickiest messes are no problem with a quick wipe of their paper towels.
17. Miele: Trying to vacuum a floor when the suction is sub-par stinks. The appliance company Miele wants homeowners everywhere to know their vacuums are so strong they can pull hot air balloons right out of the sky.
18. McDonald’s: When you’re looking for a quick and affordable bite to eat, McDonald’s knows people are drawn to their massive golden arches. However, get both you and your appetite there safely by obeying the rules of their French fry crosswalk.
19. OfficeMax: Some people are naturally organized, and others might just need OfficeMax to help. This billboard indicates they’re so organized they can actually group together something as free-willed as birds.
20. Sprite: On a hot summer day, there’s nothing quite like cracking open a cold drink. Sprite hopes anyone who sees that fountain of cold refreshing soda runs to their nearest bodega and buys one.