When you think of Australia, lovely pictures of fluffy wallabies, koalas, and wombats usually come to mind. But did you know that Australia is also home to some of the most dangerous animals in the world? It has more deadly snakes than any other country, the animal with the strongest bite in the world (saltwater crocodile), and so many venomous and poisonous animals that it’s literally a deathtrap.
Reaching adulthood is a real achievement in Australia. Because apparently, Australia is trying to kill all the Australians. You may not believe it now, but you will after you see this list.
1. Pythons that will eat literally EVERYTHING.
2. Pythons that grow so big that they can lift wallabies.
3. Snakes on the loose in clothing shops.
4. Snakes creeping in toilets.
5. Snakes doing this.
6. Snakes everywhere. Even on golf courses.
7. Even on planes. In the air.
8. Huge flying foxes that are hosts to life-threatening viruses.
9. Dingoes. That EAT SHARKS.
10. Did we mention sharks?
11. Great White Sharks riding waves.
12. Huge Saltwater Crocodiles surfing.
13. Crocodiles in swimming enclosures.
14. Crocodiles in creeks.
15. Crocodiles on the streets.
16. But just for perspective, even the crocodiles are eaten by snakes.
17. Yup, these crocodiles.
18. Paralysis ticks. Before and after feeding.
19. Spiders. Lots and lots of them.
20. This is a bucket of funnel web spiders found at a campsite. Each one can deliver a fatal bite.
21. Swarming soldier beetles…
22. And flies. Lots of them.
23. Millipedes also swarm.
24. Giant earthworms.
25. This freaky creature (mole cricket).
26. Giant venomous centipedes.
27. So big that they actually eat snakes (remember the snakes?).
28. Giant, angry flightless birds called cassowaries
29. Giant jellyfish.
30. Not so giant, the Irukandji jellyfish may be the the most dangerous creature in Australia. They are a 100 times more poisonous than cobras.
31. Box jellyfish are pretty bad, too.
32. Blue-ringed octopus are the only species of octopus fatal to humans. Not to worry you, but there is no known anti-toxin.
33. Marble cone snail stings with a harpoon-like tooth that can cause respiratory muscle paralysis leading to death
34. What’s this sign all about? Just stonefish, Earth’s most venomous fish.
35. I wonder how stonefish got their name. Not only do they look terrifying…
36. But their sting looks pretty bad, too.
37. In Australia, even hail can kill you.
38. Put off by all the terrible sea creatures? Well, even freshwater swim holes can kill you.
Whoa. I think Australia just creeped off my bucket list. Yikes!
The next time you think of going on a trip to Australia… don’t. Make sure to share this list to warn all your friends!