Like it or not, there are basic laws of physics we all have to follow. What goes up must come down. Nobody can be in two places at once. You get the idea! But every once in awhile, you’ll spot some oddity that seems to shatter everything we know about our world.
A few passersby were lucky enough to photograph these “glitches” in reality — moments where the world’s code just sort of bugged out. Some have clever tricks behind them, while others are downright inexplicable. Can you crack the code behind these oddities?
1. These copycats are bound to make any onlooker do a double-take! It’s too bad that felines don’t like water because these two would make for a fantastic synchronized swimming team.
2. Did they finally build a mall so big that it opened up a portal to another dimension? Well, if you look closely, you’ll notice the skater is inside a mirrored box. He’s got to be a pretty serious athlete to shred inside an optical illusion for that long!
Reddit / Buckazoid07
3. The bad news is that your train will never appear when you want it to. But the good news is that you’ll have these mirror-image jazzmen to serenade you as you wait. If jazz is about the notes they don’t play, then commuting is about the trains that don’t come!
Reddit / Dogebolosantosi
4. When the sunlight hit this puddle just right, it seemingly transformed into a wormhole to outer space. By the looks of it, any animals who drink from that pool of water will gain the ability to see into the future.
5. Except for the fact that they’re carrying their bags and canes in opposite hands, these old guys are two of a kind! This is what it would look like if the twin ghosts from The Shining had lovable grandfathers.
6. This is no normal driveway. If you look above and to the right of the wheel, you can see the outline of a car — one that seems almost invisible. In reality, it’s a black vehicle with so much polish that it’s reflecting everything around it!
Reddit / Tittzo
7. As the old saying goes, life imitates art! Alternatively, maybe these folks simply commissioned a portrait of their relative in his favorite outfit and napping spot. That does look like a pretty comfortable couch, after all.
Reddit / foxesandgeekery
8. This Redditor expected to see a great many things during her first visit to the United States. However, she never expected to bump into her doppelgänger on her very first day!
Reddit / salmeida
9. Cyclists might want to steer clear of this area. This public park just might take the cake for the worst bike path in history. At least its architect was thoughtful enough to put a sign out front, just so everyone knows what they’re getting into.
Reddit / FarazR90
10. On any given day, you can find a real treasure in a thrift shop. It could be a vintage outfit, some valuable antiques, or even your long-lost twin! After these dudes hit it off, we can only assume they went to a Phish concert.
11. Residents of Pennsylvania’s Lehigh Valley woke up one morning to find eight rainbows emerging from a nearby forest! The only explanation was that there was some kind of leprechaun convention in town.
Imgur / mtelesha
12. Should you ever be in the need for some canine backup dancers — seriously, who isn’t — you might want to track down these two pups. They’re so perfectly in sync that it looks like someone copied and pasted a single dog across the room.
13. Many of us have cracked open an egg with a double yolk before. No big deal! However, this Redditor’s grandmother owns a hen that lays nothing but double eggs! Double vision and your daily dose of protein? Check!
14. Even the world’s most brilliant scientists would be hard pressed to explain these lookalikes ending up side-by-side. Maybe a local store was having a big sale on red hair dye and flashy jumpsuits?
Reddit / christopher-adam
15. At first, nothing appears out of the ordinary about this charging cord. But check out the shadow — there’s a loop in the middle! It looks like the charger’s shadow has a complete mind of its own!
Reddit / icanbenormaltoo
16. Spoiler alert! One upside to getting stuck in traffic is the chance to notice weird vehicle patterns, like these three identical Nissan Skylines in a row. This must be the most specific car club in the world.
17. Everybody needs a little change of scenery now and then. Even this flame somehow managed to hop off the wick and go for a stroll. So what if it flies in the face of conventional candle logic?
Imgur / Noah Burghardt
18. These two guys took workplace synergy to the next level when they showed up to a tech conference looking exactly alike. We bet they’ve even got the same objects stuffed inside those cargo shorts.
19. Though it looks like a botched Photoshop job, this photo is 100% legitimate. Workers just happened to start painting this building the exact color of the sky! Wonder how that worked out. It’s hard to build a client base when customers can’t find you!
Reddit / pachew96
20. Did gravity suddenly shift sideways? It seems like there’s no other explanation for this string hanging in mid-air. If you look closely, however, a thin thread or spider web is holding up the loose ends.
21. You might think a sculptor chiseled a goofy face into this stone, but it was actually just erosion’s handiwork! From time to time, nature proves it has its own offbeat sense of humor with little reality-glitch faces like this…
22. Need a hand eating your vegetables? This unusual carrot will do just that, not to mention give you something to play with if you get full. Sure, it may not be as pretty as other produce, but it probably tastes just as good.
23. Plenty of kids think they see scary things once the lights turn off for bedtime. This hanging lantern definitely won’t help convince them there’s no boogeyman, as its shadow creates one of the creepiest faces we’ve ever seen.
24. Is this illusion a little too purr-fect? When one Redditor squeezed out some makeup onto a sponge, it came out in the exact shape of a cat. With such clutch cosmetic skills, she must always look like she’s got nine lives.
25. Chopping onions makes a lot of people cry, but do onions feel the same way? If you go by this cross-section, onions could not be happier about being part of your dinner! The only tears you’ll see from this little guy are tears of joy.
26. We’ve all passed a lazy afternoon staring up at the clouds and looking for shapes, but this one is uncanny. Only a few lucky people got to spot this poodle in the sky, which must’ve popped up during the dog days of summer.
27. Do you hate shoveling out your car after a snowstorm? You’re not the only one. This Volkswagen doesn’t seem too thrilled about getting covered in ice either. It’s putting on a face that says, “You’d better put me in the garage next time.”
28. Generally speaking, bonsai is an underappreciated art form, but just about everyone can admire this tiny tree. With a body like that, this bonsai could easily become the next big Instagram star.
29. Even if you don’t like beer, this beer sure likes you. As long as you’ve got this smiley bubble face staring up at you, you’ll never drink alone. So don’t worry about that guy or gal at the end of the bar who won’t talk to you.
30. Ever get the strangest feeling that you’re being watched? You might be right more often that you’d think, but at least in this case, it’s not a person observing you. It’s just a plant! Still, you can tell those eyes have seen some things…
31. It’s pretty brave for this water buffalo to be in a dentist’s office, especially around so many mouths opened wide like crocodiles. But upon closer inspection, this beast is actually the back of a lamp!
32. People have spotted Jesus on pieces on toast and potato chips in the past, but now he’s apparently moved on to the Internet’s favorite food: bacon! It’s like eating stained glass for breakfast, without the sharp edges.
33. Concrete is tough, there’s no doubt about that. Just to prove a point, however, this concrete creature looks like it’s slurping up a wrought-iron chain as if it’s just a piece of spaghetti. We can only assume he followed it with some meatballs made of ball bearings.
34. Car crashes and smoking are extremely dangerous. Nevertheless, this vehicle appears to be living on the edge by doing both at the same time! We hope the owners enjoyed snapping this photo, because they got a steep mechanic’s bill to go along with it.
35. This electric mixer looks positively horrified by whatever is at the bottom of its bowl. It’s probably just a coincidence, but at the same time, it perfectly represents the feeling of any kitchen project gone awry.
36. Pareidolia isn’t limited to small objects. Just take a look at this magnificent cliff face! Appropriately named Bridal Veil Falls, this Peruvian waterfall looks like the outline of a woman in a white dress.
37. Lots of people can’t wake up without their morning coffee. Unfortunately, this coffee mug can’t seem to wake up at all. Based on the drool coming out of its mouth, this cup is in the middle of some serious REMs.
38. Sharks are scary enough, but this particular angle makes them seem even worse. This underwater photographer caught the belly of a Great White, and it looks just like an evil face laughing at anyone foolish enough to approach the beast.
39. This cool shadow illusion also serves as a cautionary tale to motorcyclists: drive safely, be alert, and make sure to wear a helmet, or else you could find yourself strapped into a wheelchair.
Instagram / blockheadmoto
40. No, that dog actually doesn’t need to be on a leash. This canine is nothing more than the sun shining through a patch of perfectly positioned leaves. It’s also the perfect breed for people who are allergic to pet dander.