The average full-time employee spends at least a third of every day at work — that’s about a quarter of their whole week! Both a downside and an upside to this is seeing the same faces every workday, so while you may sometimes get totally sick of someone, you can always have a little fun with them…
Office pranks can lift employee spirits, create stronger bonds, and just provide some much-needed laughs, and the following are some great examples of how to break up the workday. Just remember: a good prank is no joke!
1. Replacing your colleague’s family photos is a classic prank, but when you Photoshop handsome animal faces on their children’s school pictures, it’s bound to get a couple of laughs. “Hey Carol, I think your kids need haircuts!”
2. Covering floors or desks in cups creates a giant pain in the keister for whoever needs to pass through, but here’s the catch: it takes even more effort to set it up! Better not spill or the computer goes down!
3. Being a nurse can be chaotic one moment and really slow the next. So how do they pass the time? Naming every gummy bear color of course. This makes us want to take a break from Haribo for a little while…
4. Never leave your computer logged in while you’re away from your desk. Just don’t do it. You may return to a desktop that was exactly the way you left it, but chances are you’ll find a giant blue monster holding a cookie.
5. How long will it be until he notices? A police officer should have an eye for detail, but it looks like this cop is too busy filling out arrest reports to spot the new furry astronaut hanging from his wall.
6. This is the 4th-floor stapler. It is not to be removed. Except it was moved. First to the 6th floor, then out of the office, and before it could say “copy machine,” it found itself in Disneyland. It may be homesick, but this was probably the most excitement any stapler has ever seen.
7. Ahh, cubicles. An office setup created for isolation, especially to those who cannot look over them. This girl was too short to look at her colleagues when they chatted, so she created a cutout of her head that really captured her presence.
8. To create the illusion that these people don’t work in an artificially lit concrete box, this office installed forest wallpaper. One Star Wars fan must have found it too plain because he added this little Ewok to the scenery. Honestly, it’s an improvement.
9. While most bathrooms now have hands-free soap dispensers, toilet flushers, etc. we’ve never seen a voice-activated version of this item. How many people do you think screamed at the paper towels before they realized the sticker was a prank?
10. Shane, for the love of chicken, stop offering warranties on cooked food! While management must be quite frustrated with Shane, we can’t blame him for having a little fun while serving fried chicken all day.
11. This business ordered an artificial Christmas tree to get into the holiday spirit, but nobody bothered to open the box. Just when it seemed like all hope was lost, on Christmas Eve, a Yuletide miracle happened, and it was decorated after all… kind of.
12. Honestly, this seems like a solid evacuation plan, even if you’re not really sure where you’re supposed to run to. It’s certainly better than waiting around to see what you ought to be fleeing, right?
13. On his very last day of work at PetSmart, this guy made himself the employee of the month — forever. With such raving reviews, we’re sure the company will miss him heaps.
14. Is there anything worse than someone spoiling an episode of your favorite TV show that you haven’t gotten around to checking out yet? Sure, but that doesn’t mean you want it to happen! Case in point, this dude.
15. First, there were tiny houses, then tiny cooking, and now we bring you: a tiny desk. This employee thought he could take a vacation and come back without consequences, but he might need to eat some Alice In Wonderland cake to fit into his chair again.
16. It’s important to be able to express your personality at work. This guy puts on a different costume every week, or maybe he’s just experimenting with cultures. What will it be? Dutch farm girl or Trekkie? With colleagues like this, every day is an adventure.
17. Who doesn’t love a Mitch Hedberg joke? The late, great comedian might have shuffled off his mortal coil, but his punchlines remain, entertaining hungry office workers the day over.
18. It’s really a 50/50 chance of whether your coworker will notice the giant bright red horn before sitting down, or whether they’ll have a heart attack when they’re trying to get back to work. The only way to find out is to pull a prank like this!
19. Have you ever been really sad when you’re favorite coworker is leaving the company? Make a pillow with their face on it so they’ll always be with you! It may creep them out to their core, but it’s totally worth it.
20. On a similar note, if your buddy moves cubicles or departments, make sure they know they are remembered in your heart. This little memorial speaks a thousand words, even if it is vaguely creepy.
21. You know what’s better than office pranks? Roommate pranks. Things get personal. When this man found out his roommate was afraid of creepy crawlies, he pulled an absolutely savage prank, as he hid a phony insect in the living room lamp. “He’s going to bug out about this one.”
22. Just imagine living in a house where your roommate would tape not one, not two, but five party poppers to the inside of your bedroom door. We can’t even think about what would happen if these went off as you groggily pushed open your door on the way to the restroom in the middle of the night.
23. This guy had better really love playing croquet, because not only does he get to see a croquet court every day, but he gets to live on a croquet court every day. Hey, at least his roommate was kind enough to protect the floors…
24. You can imagine this person is going to remember not to ask their diabolical roommate to buy tin foil in bulk the next time they take a trip to Costco. No one should have access to that much of the stuff. Tin hats off to this prankster!
25. Any real prankster will tell you that basing your goofs on your roommate’s greatest fear is a surefire way to pull a good one. That’s exactly why you should tell your friends you’re afraid of money or puppies and not sharks.
26. There’s nothing worse than finding out there’s a leak in your apartment; no one ever wants to be the one to call the landlord to come and fix it. This brilliant person told their friend there was a “leek” in their bathroom to evoke a little fear.
27. Air horns are alarming to people no matter where you put them. So when this person’s roommate taped one behind the front door to their apartment, you’d better believe that the next unlucky soul to open that door fell straight to the floor.
28. The falling basket above the door is a nice nod to ’90s movie booby traps, like ones in Home Alone and Three Ninjas, but the can that swings around and hits the man in the groin might be a little much, even for Kevin McCallister.
29. It’s considered good luck when a ladybug lands on you, but that’s a different story when your roommate puts upwards of a thousand fake ladybugs in your bed. Not even all the luck in the world could help you get a decent night’s sleep after that!
30. Most homebuyers pay the big bucks for beachfront property, but this guy didn’t even have to spend a dime. Just imagine waking up next to a palm tree, rolling out of bed, and sitting in a pool in the morning. Not even sure this qualifies as a prank as much as a home renovation.
31. Instead of buying a night light for their roommate who’s afraid of the dark, this person decided to add a shadow person to their dark hallway instead. That’ll surely keep them from hogging the bathroom at night…
32. With the re-release of Stephen King’s It, people’s fear of clowns is at an all-time high. Unfortunately for this person, the next time they go to the bathroom, they might pee their pants before they have a chance to use the toilet.
33. There are roommate pranks that are mean and then there are roommate pranks that are downright cruel. Case in point: when this roommate thought it would be okay to intentionally freeze their friend’s pint of Ben & Jerry’s to the freezer. “Scare me as you may, but never take my snacks!”
34. This one’s pretty self-explanatory, but you have to imagine this guy’s friend really doesn’t like it when he asks him to do his chores. “Oh, so you think I’m going to clean for you? Well, you’ve got another thing coming.”
35. Speaking of asking your roommates to do favors for you, this is a perfect example of why you should never do that. Macaroni and cheese Kool-Aid doesn’t exactly sound like comfort food. “No one will ever ask me to do them a favor ever again.”
36. The next time you want to leave a note on someone’s car because they did a poor parking job, just consider the amount of time this person spent carefully placing all these sticky notes. Surely one note would’ve sufficed?
37. When this person’s roommate turned their bedroom into a closet by installing new drywall, you have to imagine it wasn’t exactly the renovation they were looking for. Thankfully, they managed to carve a hole in the wall so they could eventually get some rest. This is definitely a slow burn prank if we’ve ever seen one!
38. No, this isn’t a weird modern episode of Stranger Things. This guy actually made his roommate’s room turn into the upside down.
39. If that car owner is in a hurry, his day is shot! We just hope he’s not ticklish.