Most parents do absolutely everything that they can to keep their children safe. Yet sometimes, despite their best efforts, there is danger in some of the most unexpected places.

Gold Coast, Australia resident Vivienne Wardrop took her son, Logan, with her on a perfectly ordinary grocery shopping trip. She sat him in front of her in the shopping cart like most parents would…yet that turned out to be a huge mistake, as she explained on Facebook.

Australian resident Vivienne Wardrop posted this warning on Facebook after a grocery trip ended in a 10-day stay at the hospital: “Just wanted to warn parents against using baby seats in trolley [or shopping cart] without wiping down or using a blanket.”

1-shopping-cart-meningitisFlickr / Alisha Vargas

“Didn’t even think about it just popped him in and did a quick shop,” Vivienne wrote. “I hadn’t been anywhere with him in a week so doctors advised only place he could of gotten it.”

2-shopping-cart-meningitisFacebook / Vivienne Wardrop

“My 10 month old woke up the next morning so sick. Took him to hospital and he ended up in intensive care for 8 days. He ended up catching adenovirus, rotavirus, salmonella poisoning and got meningitis because of the strain on his body.”

3-shopping-cart-meningitisFacebook / Vivienne Wardrop

“Ended up with a central line as his veins were collapsing due to severe dehydration. He was in hospital for a total of 10 days and will still take another week or 2 to fully recover. So please be careful I never thought something like this could happen.”

4-shopping-cart-meningitisFacebook / Vivienne Wardrop

It’s important to remember that newborns and infants have a higher risk of developing meningitis, so be on the lookout for symptoms including fever, irritability, inactivity, or soft spots on their skulls.

5-shopping-cart-meningitisFlickr / Slavin

Learn more about meningitis in this video:

You can avoid problems like this if you disinfect shopping carts before letting your child sit in one. Logan may be recovering now, but it certainly was a close call!

Share this important story with your friends below.