For a couple, a wedding is a day for dreams to come to fruition. From the bride’s dress to the wedding cake, everything has been planned to the letter to make the day perfect; ideally it’s one that no one will forget.
But, even if you’ve selected your guest list carefully, you never know what will happen in the heat of the moment, let alone when the alcohol starts flowing and the music comes on. These weddings didn’t go off as intended, but you better believe those involved will never forget them.
1. A bride and groom’s first dance is one of the highlights of a wedding; after the vows themselves, the dance is symbolic of their new status as a couple. But this one was shockingly interrupted by a guest with a grudge…
VR Vision Photography
An “ex-boyfriend forcibly cut in,” wrote reddit user TheLegendOfZelph. “After a few awkward and tense moments, some friends dragged him out as he yelled through tears, ‘I’ll always love you and I’ll be waiting for you!’” There was still another twist to come, though…
The groom was actually a criminal, who had been operating under an assumed identity. After he was found out and disappeared, the bride got back together with her wedding crasher ex; they’ve been happily married for 15 years since!
2. Another wedding didn’t have such a happy ending. Bridesmaid 1 found out that bridesmaid 2 had slept with her boyfriend (who was also at the wedding),” explained user EmotionalPiglet. So how did they resolve the love triangle?
The first bridesmaid was removed from the venue, thankfully before any physical violence began. And, just to make things even more magical, the father of the bride drunkenly vomited in front of the guests before the night was over.
3. Apparently messy weddings are actually quite common. User Dickcissels once saw a bride get punched in the face by her new sister-in-law at the reception. So much for living happily ever after.
4. A wedding ceremony is usually full of love, but not this time. The ring bearer, according to NinjatheClick, “marched right up to the best man and started punching him in the crotch repeatedly.” Maybe hire some security next time!
5. But even security guards can cause problems according to Adrian9550. In fact, a man who was supposed to be keeping the peace did something stunningly disruptive after a child told him to “eat a butt.”
Upon hearing the child, the guard took offense and pulled a gun from under his coat. He brandished it at the kids and, unsurprisingly, was quickly arrested. They should’ve hired security to protect guests from the security.
6. This wedding reception took place in the penthouse of a bank and, in the lobby, there was a decorative koi pond. That water proved to be a bit too tempting for one guest, however…
NeverEnufWTF got a bit too drunk at the reception and wasn’t going to miss his chance. He took off his shoes and socks, climbed into the water, and went fishing with his bare hands. No word on if he succeeded.
7. Alcohol can also cause issues during toasts. At one wedding, in fact, three separate guests grabbed the mic and made some remarks they’ll probably regret. If nothing else, the bride and groom certainly regret it…
One woman explained how she wished the bride could have married her son; another congratulated the couple on not breaking up after he cheated with the bride-to-be. Finally, a third guest told stories about how the groom would kill animals as a kid. Charming stuff.
8. Other alcohol-inspired incidents can get a bit more adventurous, though. NorKal and his brother had been enjoying the open bar at a wedding when they decided to go for a walk outside the venue. That walk turned into an unforgettable journey…
After walking a good distance into the desert, the brothers realized they were lost. Luckily they were able to follow the sounds of music back to the reception; they ruined their suits but survived their impromptu hike.
9. And speaking of going a bit too hard, maybe using drugs isn’t a great idea. At a wedding that korinakorina_ attended, for example, the groom stepped outside for some air, only to find his cousin overdosing on the pavement.
Delray Beach Police Department
10. What happens when a guest doesn’t get too sloppy, but breaks an unwritten rule of wedding etiquette? Just ask Puppiesandcoffee, who had her big night spoiled by a disrespectful family member inserting herself somewhere where she didn’t belong.
Not only did her cousin wear white to the ceremony, but she insisted on taking selfies with the bride and joining in on the couple’s grand entrance to the reception. Talk about stealing the spotlight!
11. OathOfFeanor witnessed a faux pas, this time at the bridal shower. One attendee not only brought her baby, but insisted the party end at the infant’s bed time. That’s nothing compared to what one wedding guest did, however….
12. When BurgNast attended a wedding, it seemed like the best man was going to make his standard speech, but he had something else in mind. Rather than praising the new couple, he dropped to one knee and proposed himself!
13. Speaking of rude guests, gth746x was shocked to hear the couple’s vows being interrupted during the wedding ceremony. But when the guests turned around, they were mortified to see who was making the noise.
The noise was coming from a bunch of goats on the other side of the fence; the wedding’s romantic, rural location was actually next to a goat farm! But no matter how strange a wedding is, it’s always nice to open gifts. Or, in one couples case, keep one wrapped for a decade.
14. Brandon and Kathy commemorated their love back in September of 2007 at a wedding ceremony that took place in Jackson, Michigan, and amassed hundreds of guests. They’ve been happily married ever since and enjoy, um, challenging each other.
See, after the ceremony, when one particular gift stood out as special, the competitive couple knew they could use it as a way to challenge the other…once they read the note attached to it.
The mysterious gift was given to the love birds by Kathy’s Great-Aunt Alison, and the super cryptic note attached to it said, “Do not open until your first disagreement.”
Confusedly, Brandon and Kathy respected Alison’s wishes, which led to the package being untouched for years. The thing was left alone for so long that it practically grew cobwebs.
As time passed, Kathy’s mother grew concerned that there may have been something perishable or time-sensitive in the gift, but good ol’ Great-Aunt Alison confirmed the box contained nothing of the sort. Still, the aunt had worries of her own.
She was shocked to hear that, after two years, the couple still hadn’t opened the gift. After all, it’s not as if Kathy and Brandon were some superior soulmates who never so much as bickered. Finally, Kathy commented on those concerns.
“Now, there had obviously been plenty of disagreements, arguments and slammed doors throughout our 9 years,” Kathy had written in the viral Facebook post, essentially clarifying that the two are indeed just like any other couple. If that’s the case, then why didn’t they open the gift?
I Am Expat
You see, opening the box seemed like a surrender in the Gunns’ eyes. “There were even a couple of instances where we both considered giving up … but we never opened the box,” she continued.
In other words, since Kathy had said that she and her husband were “both very competitive people,” refusing to open the perplexing present became an innocent game and also helped strengthen their marriage.
To put things in perspective, the couple had packed up and moved several times and even went on to continue their bloodlines in the midst of the unopened-present-competition. The Gunns weren’t playing around.
Although they were dedicated to competing as well as keeping their marriage strong without the help of the present, the whole time the couple wondered what was in that darned box…
But later, Kathy revealed the real reason they waited so long to unwrap the gift: “I honestly think that we both avoided turning to the box because it would have symbolized our failure.” Soon, though, they started thinking about the present differently.
Although they didn’t “fail,” the pondering and suspense regarding the present came to an end in May of 2016. Almost a decade after they tied the knot, a spark of unbearable curiosity came over the duo.
After a conversation about an upcoming wedding served as a reminder that they still had Alison’s gift waiting for them, Brandon and Kathy agreed in unison that the time had finally come to open it.
Right before opening it, Kathy worried about the metaphorical meaning behind keeping it unopened. She had said “What if this isn’t our worst fight? What if there’s a worse one ahead of us and we don’t have our box?!”
Kathy wondered, without the box, could they mend a falling out? She was wise enough to realize that she was being silly. So, together, they opened the gift, finally revealing what had captured their imaginations for nine years.
In the box, Brandon and Kathy found two notes, some money, wine glasses, bath items, and a vase. The basic skeleton of the gift seemed pretty normal, but the notes, which were each specifically assigned, contained instructions.
The note made out to Kathy stated “Go get a pizza, shrimp or something you both like. Get a bath ready.” Fitting advice for someone in the middle of their first marital conflict.
On the other hand, Brandon’s note simply instructed him to “Go get flowers and a bottle of wine.” While Great-Aunt Alison seemingly set up a romantic plan of action for Brandon and Kathy’s first fight, Kathy was a bit surprised.
In Kathy’s telling Facebook post, she wrote, “All along, we assumed that the contents of that box held the key to saving a marriage.” She wondered if she was missing something.
Since Kathy’s great aunt and uncle had been married for decades, she virtually had thought Alison’s present contained the meaning of life and the key to the universe. But rather, it held a lesson. She admitted the gift was more meaningful than Alison had probably intended.
A sentimental Kathy shared: “I realized that the tools for creating and maintaining a strong, healthy marriage were never within that box – they were within us,” Kathy beautifully put.